Black maran chick

The male chicks from my rare breed hatch haven’t chest bumped or walked particularly upright. But.. they are all squawkers and flighty when you reach into the brooder. They make far more fuss than the girls. It’s hard to judge just by behavior alone, unless a weird case of a female growing comb quickly, the comb is a good gauge of what is what.

Why do people say their marans confuse them? Anyway I am going to assume cockerel unless proven otherwise. Damn it this is the one I assisted. That serves be me right doesn’t it! However neither could I watch it struggling to get out because of a shipped egg issue. That’s totally my incubating career over.

Why do people say their marans confuse them? Anyway I am going to assume cockerel unless proven otherwise. Damn it this is the one I assisted. That serves be me right doesn’t it! However neither could I watch it struggling to get out because of a shipped egg issue. That’s totally my incubating career over.

That’s the correct way to say/spell the breed. It’s always MaranS, with an S on the end.

Cockerels have to be something you’re prepared for if you’re hatching. As a guide, you can assume you’ll hatch at least 50% males, 50% females. If you’re raising chicks and can’t keep cockerels, you have to have a plan B for them. It’s very hard to sell cockerels so it usually comes down to giving them away or culling (whether at an early stage or for meat). I’ve resorted to culling as no one will take my free cockerels. I do think anyone who plans on hatching chicks should be able to or know someone who is prepared to cull anyway, as so much can go wrong with raising chicks. There’s no point in beating yourself up over getting cockerels when there is really not much you can do to change it.

Either this or only buy sexed chicks.

That’s the correct way to say/spell the breed. It’s always MaranS, with an S on the end.

Cockerels have to be something you’re prepared for if you’re hatching. As a guide, you can assume you’ll hatch at least 50% males, 50% females. If you’re raising chicks and can’t keep cockerels, you have to have a plan B for them. It’s very hard to sell cockerels so it usually comes down to giving them away or culling (whether at an early stage or for meat). I’ve resorted to culling as no one will take my free cockerels. I do think anyone who plans on hatching chicks should be able to or know someone who is prepared to cull anyway, as so much can go wrong with raising chicks. There’s no point in beating yourself up over getting cockerels when there is really not much you can do to change it.

YES I truly knew

Yes I truly did know all this and took it into account and we are prepared. It’s just not something I feel joyful about and because I’ve worked out what’s I thought I could do, and may feel differently when the time comes as to now when it’s in in my brooder box. To add to our flock I will big sexed pullets. I don’t really need a lecture on all of this. I’m just genuinely asking is it possible to have a bigger comb on a female. I suspect If i asked you all to Sex it is be told I’m asking too early. Prepare for the Worst. That’s what I will do. Maybe I will surprise myself what I’m capable of in the future though!

I'm not an expert, I have 4 Marans and lost one started cockerel to illness. My Red Marans have small combs, but my Black Copper Marans hen has a rather large comb. However, it grew large when she neared sexual maturity. I am fairly certain yours is a boy.

That being said, Marans cockerels are awesome. Save him for meat if nothing else. The cockerel that lived is wonderful, quiet, super smart, not demanding, protective, and handsome. My Marans hens truly appreciate having boys around, keeping only one rooster makes them edgy.

YES I truly knew

Yes I truly did know all this and took it into account and we are prepared. It’s just not something I feel joyful about and because I’ve worked out what’s I thought I could do, and may feel differently when the time comes as to now when it’s in in my brooder box. To add to our flock I will big sexed pullets. I don’t really need a lecture on all of this. I’m just genuinely asking is it possible to have a bigger comb on a female. I suspect If i asked you all to Sex it is be told I’m asking too early. Prepare for the Worst. That’s what I will do. Maybe I will surprise myself what I’m capable of in the future though!

I’m not lecturing or trying to be condescending. It’s great that you already knew all that, but I’m just giving my opinion and advice, which I wish someone had given me before I started hatching. Take it how you will.

I'm not an expert, I have 4 Marans and lost one started cockerel to illness. My Red Marans have small combs, but my Black Copper Marans hen has a rather large comb. However, it grew large when she neared sexual maturity. I am fairly certain yours is a boy.

That being said, Marans cockerels are awesome. Save him for meat if nothing else. The cockerel that lived is wonderful, quiet, super smart, not demanding, protective, and handsome. My Marans hens truly appreciate having boys around, keeping only one rooster makes them edgy.
Are you saying it’s maybe possible to keep him with the other cockerel.

I don’t know. It seems that people say it about every breed! In my experience, you can tell pretty quickly with many single combed breeds. Especially if you have more than one to compare. I have Orpingtons, Isbar, Barnevelder, Pavlovskaya, Icelandic, Marans, CCL, Serama, Spitzhauben, an Easter Egger, an Olive Egger, and Silkies. The only real challenge so far is Spitzhauben and Silkies, the latter are truly the worst.

Back
Top Bottom