Black oil sunflower seed/Feeding question...

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Hey guys, once my five chicks hit 9 weeks they started to eat all the grain and seeds they can find, they ignored the bird seed and cracked corn before but love it now! Anyways - I bought a 10 lb bag of BOSS after hearing it was a good treat for chickens. And after a few pecks they all started to gobble the seeds down whole. The label on the back says the protein content is 15%. Much higher than scratch, correct? Because it's better and they love it, can I give them BOSS instead of scratch? They have access to 19% starter/grower twenty four hours seven days a week. Because they aren't quite big enough to avoid the small hawks around here I only let them out in my 1/3 acre yard for 1-2 hours a day under my supervision. During that time they eat plenty of grass, a few bugs, grass seed, bird seed under the feeder, and whatever food my duck leaves on the ground. (Usually a little bit of scratch and layer crumble) Does that meet their needs? How much BOSS is too much, I usually give them 3-4 small handfulls a day. I would also like to know the benefits of BOSS, I was told it would increase egg production in hens and make their feathers nice and shiny. True? False? Thanks.

yes, very high in protien. i add it to my dairy goats feed to help boost milk production. if my chick girls need a boost i will go pick up a bag of catfish feed. it is also great for helping them get through a molt....

Quote:
I'm actually on my FIRST bag of scratch in over a year of chicken ownership......I've always fed BOSS instead, because it's healthier.
Got a good deal on a 40# bag at TSC last November and I'm not out of it yet (since just feeding it as treats) but I did pick up a bag of regular scratch to mix with coz right now I just have SO MANY chickens to treat!!

I feed my flock scratch and boss. I put a handful in with their layer feed first thing in the morning and then another handful in the cup of scratch feed I give them later in he day. They also get treats from the kitchen a few times during the week. Today, they are getting left over BBQ pork and chicken.

I give my flock BOSS daily. I toss a couple handfuls of it over the fence into the run just before I open the gate to go start the morning chores; this helps keep them from crowding me at the gate.
lol.png

I also toss them some in the evening when I get home from work, for the same reason. If I've got time to spend (usually on the weekends, but sometimes I get up early enough or get home and am not feeling rushed) I will take a double handful of shredded mozzarella cheese out to them, instead. This, they take from my hands.

I believe the BOSS is one reason my chickens have such pretty, glossy feathers.

They get other treats at other times, but BOSS is something I do give them on a daily basis. And they love it!

I'm going to the feed store today to pick up some grower/layer too, the store I go to sells various grains by the pound. I've been reading that it's not a good idea to give scratch very often and not in the warmer months because it raises body temp and it can reduce protein in their diet if given too often. So, I don't give them much and I think I'm gonna save what I have now for the winter. But I was wanting to find something else that is better for them to have as a treat(besides their usual strawberries & canteloupe which I refer to as "chicken crack") I read that sunflower seed is great for them, so I'm assuming black oil?
never heard of BOSS, what's in it?
(sorry if it seems I'm hijacking this thread, I was just about to post the very same, you beat me to it)
smile.png

BOSS=Black Oil Sunflower Seed

People say not to feed scratch in summer because it has a lot of corn in it and corn either makes the chickens fat (and less able to handle heat) or because it raises body temperature as it digests, depending on who you ask. Personally, I figure that my chickens get enough corn in their feed, so I give them BOSS mixed with wild bird seed, which is mostly millet and wheat, with a little bit of corn, along with table scraps. You still don't want to over-do the treats, but think of feeding healthy seeds as the equivalent of giving a kid celery and peanut butter instead of a cookie.

Back
Top Bottom