Black, Oily Pooh

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosco, Nov 3, 2010.

1. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    i've seen caecal pooh but am lately seeing black and oily pooh. i've isolated one chicken and have started them all on Duramycin-10 but wonder if i'm right in saying, "coccidiosis."

the black oily pooh's smell doesn't knock me over. it smells like pooh though.

the hen has been laying for about a month and was born last spring.

just imagine seeing splotches of oil in the grass.

i don't have an operating camera (since our's came with a fraudulent claim of it being water proof .....). i can't post a photo.

i've been searching for photos of pooh from a chicken with coccidiosis and can't find one. i've seen the pooh page: http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 and what i'm seeing isn't there. does anyone have such a picture or a link to one?

1 person likes this.
  2. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    the vent looks clean. no noticeable feces on nearby feathers.

both mini silkies (these are the little poofy ones not the regular silkies) are very thin.

the one i thought was sick, laid her egg and is now bouncing around the backyard like usual. these don't walk but bounce kinda. with the bounce remaining, the only sign of sickness is the black oil spots and i've not a clue where it is coming from. there is tons of healthy looking feces of all sorts. no black spots in the coop.

i'm wondering if caecal feces can look like black oil and would also like to find a photo of the black feces from a chicken that is positive for coccidiosis.

3. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
  4. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    ErinG -

THX for the post. there is one in the lower right of one of the photo groups that is black. But, the pooh i'm seeing looks like hot tar that runs thin. black slimy feces is symptom of hawks when they have coccidiosis. i'm seeing weight loss, too. but nothing else. both were sick as chicks with respiratory diseases.

i'd just like a photo of feces from cocci+ chicken. i've found some websites but nothing with the "black splats."

their diet is layer pellets and anything in backyard (grass, insects, leaves of squash plants, fruit and bread).

i've seen feces of cattle that were cocci+ and it looks similar.

rosco

5. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
  6. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    it is getting worse. dark feces on some of the eggs, i can see that three of the four chickens are carrying an increasingly larger amount of dried diarhea below their vents. i started treating them with Duramycin-10 a week ago. i'm not seeing any improvement and it seems to be getting worse.
    now blood on Tweety's eggs.
    the treatment is 10-14 days. will i see an improvement by next week? this medicine might not work as fast as Corid, but it should work. Corid costs three times as much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    i forgot. other than the increasing amount of crusty dark poo on their backsides building up, and the blood on one of the eggs this morning, they appear fine. just as obnoxious as ever. still pick fights with the dog and pick on the cat. all of them, even Tweety charges the cat.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I see blk oily poo also I believe it normal if it's sticking to their feathers do a trim thats what I do.

9. rosco

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Miss Lydia,
    but i don't remember seeing it until recently. i don't think it is normal to have a chicken with dried poo running down its backside.

poo on eggs, blood on the eggs is not normal to me.

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Occasional blood on eggs is normal - it's a broken blood vessel. My hens have black poo also, not every day,but on days when they seem to, truthfully, eat dirt. I assume everything they peck at on the ground isn't all protein ...................None have died, so far. Poo on eggs, also happens occasionally. Again, not every day, but sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by