Black on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jojorose8, Dec 12, 2018.

1. jojorose8

jojorose8 Chirping

Apr 17, 2017
    Chelsea, VT
    Hi all. I live in VT and it’s been in the single digits at night. I have a 4x6 insulated coop with venting around the entire top perimeter that are 4” high. I closed all the vents except 1/2 of a 6’ side for the winter. I also have a Sweeter Heater and a Cozy Coop. The wireless thermometer in the coop shows it stays about 10 degrees warmer inside than out and of course quite warm right next to the heaters. The humidity in the coop is around 40. So, I’m traveling for work and my husband sent me a pic this morning of black on my roosters comb. I immediately suspected frostbite and told him to apply lukewarm water on a towel until it warmed up. Well, when he got home today it appears to have spread to other parts of the comb, but it hasn’t been cold enough to be new frostbite. Also, at night he sleeps directly next to the Cozy Coop so I’m super surprised his comb has gotten cold enough for it to freeze. Could this be anything else besides frostbite? Any ideas why he might be getting frostbite or what I could do differently? I do not have any water inside my coop and use the deep litter method. The photo of him on the ramp is from this morning and the photo with him by the girls is from this afternoon.

Attached Files:

2. LindaMarieLaur

LindaMarieLaur Chirping

Feb 26, 2018
    New York State.
    Last year my rooster's comb and wattle began to turn black and yes it was from frostbite. I put petroleum jelly on it like I would my lips (not too thick) a few times during the winter and he made out fine. His wattles land in the water when he takes a drink so that apparently had something to do with it.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yup, looks like frost bite....leave it alone and it should heal up all on it's own.
    Messing with compromised tissue can introduce infection.

[email protected] likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Don’t put water on a comb that has frostbite, or you will be not only increasing the chances or more frostbite, but hurting the painful tissue. That frostbite on your rooster’s comb does not look that serious yet. It may improve or the tips that are black may become rounded off. Where you live, it will be difficult to prevent frostbite in such a large comb. I don’t do anything to a frostbitten comb. Some dab on a little plain Neosporin, but do not massage or handle the comb much or it can damage it further.

MillersFarm, Wyorp Rock and aart like this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Aart, that article has excellent pictures of the progression of healing; nice job.

HeyHo and [email protected] like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks. Had seen this before(every new cockerel year) and with all the panic about frostbite decided to document the progress with pics each month last winter.

HeyHo likes this.
  8. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    To me frostbite is like a burn. The last thing you ever want to put on a burn is ointment!! I too put Vaseline on prior to cold temperatures. I’m not sure it even helped. Thanks aart great photos & information. Mine was not near as bad and yes by springtime it heals.

MillersFarm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: