1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

black on the comb??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Sep 2, 2014.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I've always seen a few black specks on the comb, but it seems to be getting worse. could it be from giving them a lot of watermelon rinds and the comb getting wet and sticky and then getting dirt stuck on it? or do you think there's something else going on?
    [​IMG]

2. MSBG

MSBG Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    Have you tried cleaning the comb with soap and water or Vaseline to see if it comes off?

Not sure if the watermelon would be the cause, does she have any other symptoms?

Could be something fungal, you could offer her some yogurt, maybe add that extra immunity booster to help her fight off whatever it is, probiotics, Echinacea, apple cider vinegar in the water, extra vits and minerals like poultry spice, or bird tonic drops.

Then of course there is always the option of taking her to the vet if you see the black spot is getting worse.

3. julesisthehen

julesisthehen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2014
    I get these black spots on the combs a lot. My birds are never affected by it, and I have had it checked out, and there is no reason to be concerned. If it is cold where you are there is a possibility of frostbite, but you just need to put some vaseline on them and they will be just fine. But yes, I have had those black spots before and there is nothing to be worried about:) Still not exactly sure what it is, but it doesn't affect the birds so I am okay with it.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is it dirt on the comb, or is the actual comb discolored? It could be dirt collecting due to sticky watermelon or water. I know that my chickens occasionally get dirt stuck to their combs. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Fowl Pox can cause discoloration, but it usually comes in the form of scabs, which I'm not seeing.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    they've always had some black specks, but a couple of them were looking generally dark all over.

glad it doesn't look like anything serious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by