Black or blue cochin bantam chick?

AngBantamLuv

Bantam Chickens on a Pocket Prairie
May 9, 2020
Middle of Texas
Yes.. i am a chicken mathematician. So i went back to the store and got *just one * more bantam cochin... šŸ˜‡

Thoughts in whether this will be a blue or black cochin when it grows up? I verified the hatchery, and they do not have official "gray" colored cochins.

Also, if they are listed as frizzle, does that mean all chicks are frizzles, or is it just a percentage/recessive trait?
20200926_151822.jpg
20200926_151805.jpg
20200926_151754.jpg

Her little starter wing feathers look kinda frizzled
Yay!! For frizzle and "her"!! I was aiming for mini flight feathers in hopes those are females. There was one just gorgeous blue, i couldn't resist, but i think it'll be male. You can see the wing feathers are barely there..
20200925_161532.jpg

And this one has nice longer flight feathers.. hopefully a frizzle too.. very excited
20200925_161650.jpg

I'm not sure if feather-sexing is accurate on Cochins or not, but with the ones we've had, most of the cockerels didn't make us wait and wonder for long. For some of them, you could guess (or know but remain in denial) by 2 or 3 weeks, lol.
I have some Duccles who were similar... very quick to show. but i used feathering to pick them, and picked 3 girls! I got 3 though, so i hope i get at least 2 girls!! šŸ„°šŸ˜šŸ„°

I'm not sure if feather-sexing is accurate on Cochins or not, but with the ones we've had, most of the cockerels didn't make us wait and wonder for long. For some of them, you could guess (or know but remain in denial) by 2 or 3 weeks, lol.
I couldn't wait on the silkies though, had to dna test them!! Thankfully i got 2 girls then too!

Back
Top Bottom