Black Orpington hatching eggs???

rnoyster

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Conway, South Carolina
Hey all...............

I had another miserable hatch of black orps and it has to be due to the handling that they are getting during shipping! I hated to contact Imogene and let her know the latest hatching numbers. She has done everything that she could possibly do to make sure that I can hatch out some of her black orps! I have had about 4 dozen eggs from her, and her packaging is fantastic, but the eggs all look scrambled in the shell with only a couple even getting close to hatching. Out of this last 2 dozen eggs, we had 4 hatch and one of them just didn't seem very strong and wound up dieing the next day! I have ordered turkey eggs from a couple of the members on BYC as well and am having the same luck! I just know that everyone that I have received eggs from are doing their utmost to make sure that I receive them in great condition from the packing that has been done! I put a dozen of my eggs from my BO's in with the last batch of blacks and had 10 of 12 hatch! So, with that being said, I am really PO'd at the USPS for playing football with my eggs!
Sorry for the short Rant! My question to y'all is this...... I will be going to Eastern Ohio on the 29th of June and then headed back to South Carolina, by way of Virginia Beach the following week. Is there anyone that any of you know in Eastern Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina or South Carolina that raise Black Orps that I may be able to stop by their place and pick up some hatching eggs?? After all the time and money that has been spent on this project, I really don't want to try anymore shipping.
I would even try getting a couple dozen day old chicks from a hatchery or individual if I could find that too!
Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Dick (rnoyster)

Hey, I'm sorry you've had a rotten hatch, I have some of Imogene's eggs in my bator right now - I have my fingers crossed!!

I am in North GA and I have some Bama black Orps which are laying now. Are you looking for just black, or BBS?

Drop me an email if you'd like to head down this way, I'd be more than happy to supply you with some eggs - I love my BBS and I can't think of a greater joy than sharing them!
smile.png

I have a couple of pullets that are from an earlier shipment of eggs from Imogene and I had 2 survive this time. That is from about 4 dozen eggs! She has done everything but carry them to me personally! It is simply the shipping that is doing the damage! The two pullets thast I have in the coop are beautiful as as the two new chicks. But, if the black chick that just hatched isn't a roo, then I will have to try again someday! I just need to find someone that is close enough that I can travel to pick some eggs up, but without a lot of work lately, I just can't see traveling 200-300 to just get some hatching eggs! I thought that during my trip back home to Ohio for a reunion and then through Virginia for a short visit with family, that I may run past someone close by that had some.
Currently, I have a great coop of Buffs, and 4 blue hens with 2 blue roos in another pen from MsPrissy that are absolutely gorgeous. But, I would really like to get some blacks to add to the couple that I have from Imogene.
I have checked all the hatcheries that I could find and no one carries Black Orps. They usually only have Buff and Whites.
I do have anephew that lives around Atlanta that may be able to get up to you area on the way back to Myrtle Beach and could bring some back for me if you aren't too far out of the way of his travels.
Dick

You'd be more than welcome. Even if the hatcheries did carry Black Orps, I would strongly recommend not purchasing hatchery birds. I can almost guarantee that they would disappoint, especially when compared to Imogene's birds.
smile.png

You want to buy all your fertile eggs and birds from breeders not hatcheries. Hatchery birds don't look that good and don't sell good either.

do u know any breeders in georgia that sell black orpingtons chicks or eggs:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom