Black Penedesenca Hatching Eggs

We are going to get a shipment of Black Penny's by tomorrow. I will be interested in chicks/hatching eggs next year to add to the bloodline. Please add me to your list for next spring :)
Candy

Thanks for that. I'll look forward to hearing how your birds turn out.
I had a mink massacre several years ago and was desperate for birds and I considered buying from him. I had previously purchased many breeds from them and was happy with them. But in his catalog he says he doesn't select for white earlobes and only dark eggs. Then I had a couple friends with blacks who lived in Wisconsin. They had bought some from SP and they were a bit disappointed. Some of the chicks ended up with 5 toes. That was some time ago so hopefully all the kinks are worked out in time for your birds.
I just decided to stick with what I had and make the best of it.
I sold some chicks and gave a pullet/cockerel pair to a friend in northern Missouri who had an older pair and he claimed his hen laid extremely dark eggs. So I gave him the pair with the agreement that he would breed my cockerel with his hen and his rooster with my pullet and then send some of their offspring back to me. He sent me two POL pullets the next year. It was an extreme disappointment when they started laying. Their eggs were not dark at all. Because they weren't related to my birds, I thought I would still use them to add genetic diversity and vigor hoping that my birds' dark eggs, and other characteristics would work things out but all it did was dilute my birds good genetics with undesirable characteristics. I've been working years to get things right.
So, I'm glad I didn't get SP chicks or I may have been working with even more problems.

Thanks for that. I'll look forward to hearing how your birds turn out.
I had a mink massacre several years ago and was desperate for birds and I considered buying from him. I had previously purchased many breeds from them and was happy with them. But in his catalog he says he doesn't select for white earlobes and only dark eggs...hopefully all the kinks are worked out in time for your birds.

So, I'm glad I didn't get SP chicks or I may have been working with even more problems.

I appreciate your input for sure. I want the dark eggs and I hear the no more than 1/3 white to red earlobes is very difficult to obtain. I will watch for five toes as I didnt have much time to look them over this am. I focused on getting them hydrated and comfy. I will post chick pics here later. Please let me know what you think of them since you have worked with the breed so long. SP just had major losses in most of their breeds due to predators so keep that in mind these babies may be off standard. I had asked for 10 and he was only able to send 5 this shipment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom