Black Rat Snake aka "Chicken Snake"

Carolina Chicken Man

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I had seen this big boy lurking around, but just let it slide. Figured he take care of the mice the feed was attracting.

My hens just started laying a month ago, so apparently he was hanging around waiting for the eggs to come.

However, when I caught him in the nest box, he had to go. Couple of whacks with the hoe, and he was no more. I had 4 eggs in that box in the am, but apparently he ate all 4 of them.

My farmer friend said that he was a chicken snake. But after a little research, I found that there are numerous snakes that people call chicken snakes, because they eat eggs. What this guy was was a black rat snake. Apparently, they can climb straight up a brick wall, and make their early living on bird eggs as well as mice. They are actually the largest snake in North America growing to 8 ft, (this guy was over 5 ft) and when they get big enough to eat chicken eggs, that's an easy meal for them.

Be careful about posting you killed a snake. Not sure what the law is in NC, here in Arkansas by state law it is illegal to kill any snake species for any reason. Now I'm not saying I would never take out a snake, but I wouldn't say to much about it, if you catch my drift. You don't want to get a knock from the wildlife officials in your area, because you posted about killing one. Snakes are easy to relocate to a wildlife preserve or park where they won't travel back to where they came from like some animals do. They are very easy to catch, even the venomous kind, if you have the right tool. Maybe that is a better option in the future
wink.png
Just looking out for you, Mi Amigo!

Back
Top Bottom