Black scab on 2 year old Welsummer

GG Brit

Chirping
Oct 2, 2020
Just noticed this black discoloration/scab? on my hen’s right leg. I check them daily but didn’t notice this previously. It almost looks burnt. Any thoughts? The other two hens are fine with no apparent discoloration. Thank you for any suggestions.

Attachments

• B89E6D88-EEED-497A-933B-B8A5B174ED47.jpeg
    B89E6D88-EEED-497A-933B-B8A5B174ED47.jpeg
    747.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 3EC195AB-0DBB-4235-826C-9508A125AD07.jpeg
    3EC195AB-0DBB-4235-826C-9508A125AD07.jpeg
    725.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 7BB61823-DBBD-4A17-AA63-8D6A2E77CC0C.jpeg
    7BB61823-DBBD-4A17-AA63-8D6A2E77CC0C.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 8FE08EF5-001E-4833-A199-D8070261DF49.jpeg
    8FE08EF5-001E-4833-A199-D8070261DF49.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Just noticed this black discoloration/scab? on my hen’s right leg. I check them daily but didn’t notice this previously. It almost looks burnt. Any thoughts? The other two hens are fine with no apparent discoloration. Thank you for any suggestions.
It appears to be droppings. Have you tried cleaning it off?

Dried cecal poop.
It will probably eventually wear off, but if you wish, you can take a soft brush, lightly brush the back of the leg to see if it will come on off.

Thank you! She is currently sleeping on hay at night as she’s not able to roost for long periods. That is probably why she’s getting cecal poop on her legs.

Thank you! She is currently sleeping on hay at night as she’s not able to roost for long periods. That is probably why she’s getting cecal poop on her legs.
Any idea why she can't roost for long periods of time? Any scabs or bumblefoot on the bottom of her feet?
Sometimes when a hen gets older, they may start having problems and prefer to sleep on the floor instead of roosting as well.

That cecal poop will stick to anything and everyone! Wait until you get it on your clothes, you might as well get a scrub brush, some soap and work on the garment outside under the spigot before you come in, ask me how I know🤣

In mid-November she suddenly couldn’t walk and I had to carry her about to move her. She got Antibiotics and vitamin b12 - also took her to an animal chiropractor! And she gradually regained the use of her legs. However she roosted one night which I thought was ambitious on her part and in the morning she was on the floor of the coop. Since then she has not tried to roost. I did put a lower perch in for her but she wasn’t interested. Where she sleeps now does have perches a couple of inches high but she prefers to sleep lying down. Photo shows her back in November.

Attachments

• D2CA5C51-6321-438E-9346-451AE4C7CAFE.jpeg
    D2CA5C51-6321-438E-9346-451AE4C7CAFE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
In mid-November she suddenly couldn’t walk and I had to carry her about to move her. She got Antibiotics and vitamin b12 - also took her to an animal chiropractor! And she gradually regained the use of her legs. However she roosted one night which I thought was ambitious on her part and in the morning she was on the floor of the coop. Since then she has not tried to roost. I did put a lower perch in for her but she wasn’t interested. Where she sleeps now does have perches a couple of inches high but she prefers to sleep lying down. Photo shows her back in November.
Poor Girl!

Hard to know what caused all that to begin with. Possibly Marek's, but it's good that she was able to regain the use of her legs and continue on with chickening.

If I have one that is no longer able to roost, I just make sure the spot they choose to bed down in has a little extra straw or bedding. (Especially in cold weather)
A lot of times they can still do o.k. and go about their normal activities, they just can't roost.

Back
Top Bottom