Black scabs and spots on comb and wattle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Delaware, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Delaware

Delaware New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

Hi all,

I'm new to BYC and the world of raising chickens. I recently encountered my first "chicken challenge" - the scabs and spots on my rooster in the attached image. I have 7 hens and this one rooster. They have a 400 square foot area to roam during the day and a smaller coop where they reside locked up at night until the morning. I can't tell if this is a disease or dried blood. I haven't noticed any similar problems on my hen, and I haven't witnessed any fighting although it could occur in the coop before I let them out every morning. Please advise on whether this is something I should treat or could be a problem for the rest of the gang. I noticed the rooster will move his head in a side to side/figure 8 motion frequently as if he's irritated by the problem, but otherwise he's eating/drinking well and doesn't display any other strange behaviors. I appreciate your feedback!

Delaware

2. Could be fowl pox. Welcome to BYC!!

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If it is very cold where you are, it could be a bit of frost bite. If not it has the common appearance of dried blood with the exception of the discolored spot at the rear of the comb. You could rub a little Neosporin (without the Lidocaine) or Neo-Poly-Bac ointment on the comb and see if it improves. When the weather is harsh or changes drastically, it is also a good practice to use some vitamins-electrolytes-probiotics in the water 3 times a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by