Black sex link gender?

mamahenmartinez

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2017
Hello!

I have 3 black sex links and I just had a couple questions...
They were straight run btw

Two of my black sex links look completely different then the other one I have

2 have uneven wing feathers and no tail feathers where as 1 has all even wing feathers and it does have tail feathers and this one is also a lot more red then the other two the other two barely have any red. All three are aboit 3 weeks old. Is this any indication of gender? I was told by a friend that its looking like ill have two roos and one hen. Can anyone share any thoughts?

Hello!

2 have uneven wing feathers and no tail feathers where as 1 has all even wing feathers and it does have tail feathers and this one is also a lot more red then the other two the other two barely have any red. All three are aboit 3 weeks old. Is this any indication of gender? I was told by a friend that its looking like ill have two roos and one hen. Can anyone share any thoughts?
True black sex-link I am familiar with---the males look like a barred rock---spot on their head when hatched, females are basically black until they age a little then they get a little color mingled in their neck area. Not sure what you got. Where did you get them from---meaning a hatchery or a individual person?

Last edited:
True black sex-link I am familiar with---the males look like a barred rock---spot on their head when hatched, females are basically black until they age a little then they get a little color mingled in their neck area. Not sure what you got. Where did you get them from---meaning a hatchery or a individual person?

I got them from a feed store. They said they were black sex links but im not sure unless they are a dofferent mix and someone just said they were black sex links.

This is a pic to give you a idea of grown black sex-link adults. The rooster looks like a barred rock the hen black with some color around her neck/breast area. I only use RIR and Barred rock so this is the color they would be. Some use different roosters to make the cross so they would be probably colored different.

Last edited:
This is a pic to give you a idea of grown black sex-link adults. The rooster looks like a barred rock the hen black with some color around her neck/breast area. I only use RIR and Barred rock so this is the color they would be. Some use different roosters to make the cross so they would be probably colored different.
They have never looked like these, they have always had the brown/red heads. The guy at the feed store must not have know what he was talking about lol, he said they had the brown heads because they have brown heads as adults. I wonder what mine are a cross of. Either way they are sweet little chickens. They even jump up so I will pet them. Do you think the different feathers could be an indication on gender?

They have never looked like these, they have always had the brown/red heads.

The guy at the feed store must not have know what he was talking about lol, he said they had the brown heads because they have brown heads as adults. I wonder what mine are a cross of. Either way they are sweet little chickens. They even jump up so I will pet them. Do you think the different feathers could be an indication on gender?

Also theybhave never had white on them. They were solid black with brown heads when I got them.

Hi I have 5 Black Sex link chicks they are 3 weeks old, I have 2 that look like roosters so I was wondering if they were going to turn into a cockerel or a pullet?

Hello!

Both the birds in these photos are pullets.

Back
Top Bottom