Black sex link vs rhode island reds

nicolette

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
Which chicken out of black sexlink or rhode island reds Last longer in egg laying ability? How many years of egg laying can you get out of a black sexlink vs rhode island reds?

RIR tend to lay longer into their lifetime but lay less eggs in a year than a sex link. I have a 6 year old RIR who's lays a few eggs a year. Breeding behind a RIR can dictate production more than just breed. Sex links seem to burn out younger, live shorter lives but are egg laying machines for a few years.

RIR tend to lay longer into their lifetime but lay less eggs in a year than a sex link. I have a 6 year old RIR who's lays a few eggs a year. Breeding behind a RIR can dictate production more than just breed. Sex links seem to burn out younger, live shorter lives but are egg laying machines for a few years.
What about the Eggs size? I currently have two black SL and 3 RIR I got my first egg on Sunday and it was a beauty, my second egg yesterday was smaller and lighter brown.

What about the Eggs size? I currently have two black SL and 3 RIR I got my first egg on Sunday and it was a beauty, my second egg yesterday was smaller and lighter brown.
Generally sex links will start laying before RIR. Comb development on your pullets can sometimes help. The comb enlarges and get bright red before they start.

IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG
Generally sex links will start laying before RIR. Comb development on your pullets can sometimes help. The comb enlarges and get bright red before they start.

The term "sex link" can imply a variety of different crosses in breeding, so not all are prolific layers. (We do a black sex link that is barred rock/black copper marans cross -males/females identifIable at hatch, hence the name) That said, almost all hatchery sex links are "designed" for the purpose of egg production, and will generally only give 1 or 2 outstanding seasons of productivity before they begin to have health issues - usually related to egg laying. It's a bit of a trade-off - high production necessitating early replacement, or a little lower productivity with more longevity (with the heritage breeds). Everyone has their own needs with their flock, I just lean toward wanting my birds to live longer even if their rate of productivity is a bit lower. :)

The term "sex link" can imply a variety of different crosses in breeding, so not all are prolific layers. (We do a black sex link that is barred rock/black copper marans cross -males/females identifIable at hatch, hence the name) That said, almost all hatchery sex links are "designed" for the purpose of egg production, and will generally only give 1 or 2 outstanding seasons of productivity before they begin to have health issues - usually related to egg laying. It's a bit of a trade-off - high production necessitating early replacement, or a little lower productivity with more longevity (with the heritage breeds). Everyone has their own needs with their flock, I just lean toward wanting my birds to live longer even if their rate of productivity is a bit lower. :)

Wish I had known this about the sex links! I do want my hens to live a longer life, long as possible regardless of how many eggs they give me. But that's what this site is for.. Learned something else today!

Wish I had known this about the sex links! I do want my hens to live a longer life, long as possible regardless of how many eggs they give me. But that's what this site is for.. Learned something else today!
My first 6 hens were sex links. I had no idea what I was doing. They were just super cute. And, to top it off, nicest birds ever!
Sometimes I get kind of irritated at the "create a better hybrid" industry when it's at the expense of an animal's health.

Back
Top Bottom