Black Soldier Fly - Found Large Colony in Dried Molasses! Need advice!

valentinebaby

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Sherman-Denison, TX
I left a large sack of dried molasses intended for my yard on my driveway by a side door. This weekend, my husband was trying to gather it into a container because the bag had torn apart due to rain, etc., and found a large colony of black soldier fly larvae on the bottom. Since my chickens LOVE BSF's, I want to continue "breeding" them. This morning I had to let 3 of the adults out of the house...

I do not want to spend close to $200 for a biopod, so I'm going to try my hand at my own home-grown bin. Since they seem very happy on the ground, I'm thinking of converting space next to my a/c unit that I can't get any thing to grow on into a composter. Thinking of building a bin straight on the ground (so the excess moisture goes into the ground) and placing a lid on top with holes for the adults to fly into. Saw someone on a garden forum site who had made their own bin using rubbermaid plastic storage boxes with hanging cardboard and pvc pipe coming out of the box at an angle and converting down into a collector bucket.

Has anyone else designed something similar to this?

Back
Top Bottom