"Black Spanish" - breed/color question

AraucanaAnne

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 24, 2013
I ordered McMurray's 15-bird rare/heritage turkey assortment, which they said would include three different breeds of hatchery's choice. From comparing my poults with photos on the Internet, it looks like I got 5 Narragansett, 5 bourbon red, and 5 "black Spanish." The black Spanish have jet black bodies with black & white mottled heads. One of them was a slightly more faded black, the color of a black shirt that's gone through the laundry too many times, and now that its wing feathers are growing in, I can see that they are blue/gray, not black like the rest.

I guess my question is, does a blue bird pop up occasionally in this breed, or maybe it's a cross, or something else entirely?

Thanks!

Blue slates produce blacks.
Your blacks might be from them.
I have noticed that the blue slates that come out black are usually bigger birds.

Interesting. The one that has feathers growing in blue is definitely smaller. So do you think it's possible I got 5 slates and 4 just happened to be black? I'm guessing the color blue in turkeys is similar to in chickens, where if I mate black to black I won't get blues, but if I mate black to blue I will?

Very well could be possible.
Black to black gets you black.
Black to blue will get you black and blue.

Back
Top Bottom