Black spots on beak?

melissamerry

Songster
7 Years
Aug 17, 2012
Goleta, California
TreeTrunks had this little black spot on her beak which I though nothing of until another one developed. A third one popped up a few weeks ago and now it's getting bigger.

They're not raised spots, but more like freckles. She's 6 1/2 months old and otherwise healthy. Jake and Finn have no signs of these freckles. Should I be worried?

As far as I know, some ducks get speckles on their bills. Let's hope someone with definite experience one way or the other checks in.

Meanwhile, I want to tell you about something that happens to my runners' bills. For the most part, the bills are black (the ducks are brown or black). But the bills have highlight colors. Sometimes it's blue. Sometimes it's green.

When a bill has blue highlights, the duck is generally pretty mellow, and not particularly chatty.

But when a bill has green highlights, the duck is a little bit more edgy, and much more chatty.

I reckon it's a result of hormonal changes. But my runners' bills are like mood rings.

And right now, we have nine (that's everyone) with green highlights. Gets animated sometimes!

Hormones?! They sure are growing up fast. I have noticed that Finn takes a liking to TreeTrunks more so than Jake when he's feelin' frisky.

That's extremely cool that your ducks have mood ring beaks! Do you have any pictures? I would love to see those.

My duck got those as she got older. I call them "age spots" just like the ones people get when they're elderly. There was only a couple, now she is 6 years old and has them all over her bill and feet as well (she is the same color as your duck btw). Completely harmless.

My 3 Pekin Ducks have the black spots. My 2 Old Ladies, adopted as adults, had the spots when I adopted them. My youngest Pekin, she didn't have any spots til about 2-3 months ago. Soooo. I think it's age. Amiga, that is indeed a very interesting observation about your ducks bills. I will check mine more closely when I see them tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom