black spots on comb and wattles

Suechick

Songster
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Hi, I was wondering if someone knows what might be causing spots on my chickens? You can see what looks like white powder on the combs and wattles. A strip of black on the wattle and a black spot on one of the teeth of her comb. It just doesn't look right to me. I tried to wash off the black stip but she doesn't like me touching her wattles. Nothing came off anyway. She seems to be acting normal otherwise, although she is 24 weeks old and we haven't seen any eggs yet. Any ideas?

43622_singer.jpg

during cold weather chicken's combs freeze bet grow back in the summer, so on her comb it could be that, but the thing on her waddle is deffently a scab, somethimes chickens get a cut, that is probably what they both are.

Thank you <3<3 I<3chickens
We live in San Diego so it never freezes here. But, I can believe that is a scab. Good answer, I like it.
big_smile.png

Any idea what the powdery white stuff might be?
TIA

i searched white comb & some think it may be something fungal. they suggested a cream used for athletes feet in humans. just be careful not to get it in their eyes

Quote:
my chickens are close to this age and have something that looks like this I am super worried..anyone think it is just ok or should I treat them for something.

Are you still experiencing this? My hens also have gotten exactly the same black spots and it has cleared on it's own. I had a vet come out and look at it and she said that unless it gets scabby (which could be fowl pox) it most likely is a result minor bruising if they scratched themselves or another chicken pecked them. If it is scabby, put iodine or Betadine applied to the tip of a saturated Q-tip on the chicken's comb for 7 days.. This should dry it out. If it spreads or gets worse, contact a vet. I do not know what the white is though.

Back
Top Bottom