black star chick

southernchic

Hatching
May 19, 2015
southern utah
I have two black sex link chicks about 3 weeks old one of them has always looked a little weird she is smaller and has less plumage she eats runs around and seems ok now but is not developing as good as her sister.
she is the one in the back.

any suggestions as to what could be wrong as far as I know she isn't picked at by the other chicks.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Even though your chicks are of the same breed they may just be developing at different rates. I've certainly experienced this with my polish as in same parent birds and from the same hatch and some are bigger or smaller than others. They can also feather out at differing rates. As long as your chick is healthy, eating and drinking and acting normally I would not be too worried.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Yorkshire Coop is right . Your birds look fine to me -different growth rates and also maybe different personalities. Welcome to BYC.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. X2 on Yorkshire coop. I've raised Black Sex Links for years and occasionally I've had one that develops slower than the others. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens as they are friendly, hardy, egg laying machines. I've had dozens of breeds and hybrids over the years, and my Black Sex Links have been my best layers, consistently churning out over 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those two girls. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BSLs.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Cute chicks you have there. Like the others have said, some just grow faster and as long as she is acting & eating ok, things are fine.

Have fun with your little ones, they grow really fast! Before long, you'll be enjoying lots of eggs from the BSL girls.

I've got some Black sex link. They all looked like that. Matter of fact, to me they look worse than other breads when they are growing feathers out. Almost to the point to where they are mildly ugly looking. But when they grow out, I think they are some of the coolest looking chickens. With the dark feathering towards the back but redish looking around and under the neck. As others said, if she is eating, drinking, and pooping well, you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom