Black Sumatra

mimipeaches

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
Rural IL
No matter how hard I look no one knows about the Black Sumatra! So I am starting this thread for any black Sumatra owners, past owners, or just people who are interested in or know about Black Sumatra. I can't even find out when they start laying!!! Here is my Pullet Sam she is 8 months old and has not started laying or mating. She is a loner for the most part, while she like my brother she doesn't not like me too much. She also likes to pick on my Buffed Orpington Buffy. I don't know why but she does other than that she is an all around ok bird who doesn't mind the cold and loves to fly.
8A218DFE-6E8F-4811-A447-05956908ADB0.jpeg

I'm a past owner of blacks and a few blues. The boys were really pretty with their long tail feathers. Your experience sounds like mine. The breed really reminds me of a wild, game-like fowl. Good fliers and mine weren't the best of layers either. I can't remember when they started though. Mainly a breed for ornamental purposes. You've got me thinking of getting a few more this spring now!

I'm a past owner of blacks and a few blues. The boys were really pretty with their long tail feathers. Your experience sounds like mine. The breed really reminds me of a wild, game-like fowl. Good fliers and mine weren't the best of layers either. I can't remember when they started though. Mainly a breed for ornamental purposes. You've got me thinking of getting a few more this spring now!
I would recommend it even though from what i have heard they only lay one egg a week they do really like people if you spend enough time with them! She always greets my brother and fly's up onto his arm they are BFF's while I don't spend a ton of time with her because I am trying to spend lots of time with all of my birds.

I have only had 1 cockerel that was purchased at a swap. Sumatras are few and far between. Unfortunately, he was sick and despite over a month in quarantine, he got all my birds sick. He was pretty neat but I didn't keep him, mainly because of it. I might like to try them again, maybe bantams, if they can be found. Most bantam cockerels (any breed) have the little man syndrome. I wonder if these do as well. It's rather unfair they give the larger counterpart breed a bad rap.

LRH97 Sumatras are season layers, and I think they lay during the summer and stop for winter.

No matter how hard I look no one knows about the Black Sumatra! So I am starting this thread for any black Sumatra owners, past owners, or just people who are interested in or know about Black Sumatra. I can't even find out when they start laying!!! Here is my Pullet Sam she is 8 months old and has not started laying or mating. She is a loner for the most part, while she like my brother she doesn't not like me too much. She also likes to pick on my Buffed Orpington Buffy. I don't know why but she does other than that she is an all around ok bird who doesn't mind the cold and loves to fly.View attachment 1651291

Very beautiful bird! Always loved Black Sumatra’s.

From what I have heard they are good layers year round probably because they only lay 1 egg a week. Thank you for all of your information!!! My Black Sumatra is 8 months old so it's good to know that they start around 10 months!! Thank you all!

I've had a sumatra roo for several years, I always suspected he could be either a cross or just not the best qualtiy, his comb is somewhat red, he hasn't the right confirmation and his tail isn't as nice as some I've seen. But what he does have is a perfect temperament, he's good with me and the girls. I think he is about 6 years old now. My hens are a mix of breeds and I decided to hatch some of their eggs this year.

Silly Chicken, type is great but temperament is the ultimate IMO. Enjoy and be proud of him. I've steered away from them because of their wild(er) nature and if they would fit inwith my gentle breeds.

He is very good with the girls, very protective, not aggressive about breeding, always looking for food and calling the girls to him. I will be sad when he's gone. I am hoping one of the chicks resembles him. So far it looks like they maybe crossed with my Silver Laced Wyandotte hen. Could be interesting!

Back
Top Bottom