Black Swedish Isbar? Cockerel or Hen?

MFRcoop

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
Southern CA
I bought what I was told are 2 black Swedish Isbar chickens. I was told they would lay a green egg, and are about 5 weeks old. I believe I have one cockerel and one hen based on body size and combs. What are your thoughts?
Swedish Isbar A3.JPG Swedish Isebar B6.JPG

This is what I know/told correct me if I'm wrong:

Isbar, pronounced "Ice-Bar", is a new breed that was created in the 1950's by a priest named Martin Silverudd. Father Silverudd, obsessed with the genetics of chickens, developed a number of different chicken breeds, including the 55 Flowery Hen, the Molilja, the Queen Sylvia and the Isbar. His goal in creating new auto-sexing chicken breeds that laid an abundant amount of unique colored eggs. He is very well respected in chicken genetic circles and his protocols are still being used today in universities and breeding programs.

The Swedish Isbar is a rare chicken breed that was imported into the US in 2011 from Sweden. The Swedish Isbar is one of the very few chicken breeds that lay moss green eggs. In fact, they are the only chicken breed on the planet with single combs that lay green eggs. My 2 are a mix of both 1st and 2nd Swedish Isbar imports from 2011 and 2013. They are cold-hardy chickens and thrive when foraging free range but can also be confined without issue. The hens can produce up to 200 green eggs a year and occasionally are known to produce speckled brown eggs, though mine where specifically breed for the green egg laying capability. Swedish Isbar chickens are alert with potential predators but are calm and docile with people.

Origin: Sweden
Type: Standard Large Fowl
Size: Medium (4-6 lbs)
Rarity: Extremely rare
Purpose: Green Eggs
Colors the birds come in: Blue, Black, Splash
Egg Laying: Good (4/week, up to 200/year)
Egg Color: Moss Green
Egg Size: Medium/Large
Unique Feature: Only single comb chicken in the world that lays green eggs
Cold Hardiness: Hardy in Winter
Heat Tolerance: Good heat tolerance
Docile: Yes
Setter/Broody: Unlikely
Personality: Lively, active, friendly and docile

Back
Top Bottom