Black-Tailed Buff & Blue-Tailed Buff Marans Discussion Thread

ladycat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Between Wichita Falls TX and Waurika OK.
My Coop
My Coop
I searched and couldn't find a discussion thread for Black-Tailed Buff Marans, so I'm starting one.
smile.png

I added the blue variety because I'm going to be trying to get some of those started, too.

I'm only a beginner, but I'm hoping those who are experienced in this variety of Marans will post so I can learn.

I searched and couldn't find a discussion thread for Black-Tailed Buff Marans, so I'm starting one.
smile.png

I added the blue variety because I'm going to be trying to get some of those started, too.

I'm only a beginner, but I'm hoping those who are experienced in this variety of Marans will post so I can learn.
I am not experienced with Marans but genetics are my Forte, I could assist you on your breeding program if you need help grasping the genetics of the Black/Blue/Splash Tailed Buff Maran

Working on Blue tailed buff Marans. This is my male a cross of BTB male and solid blue female. This Bl TB project bird is so light blue he is almost splash. He has very light blue and some darker blue splashes on his tail. There are NO white tail feathers they are very light blue on the tips. His wing markings are light blue. He is far from perfect as he lacks shank feathering...he has stubs but not good feathering. I have not seen any other blue tailed buffs so nothing to compare him to and decided to make my own project. His name is Peaches :p

900x900px-LL-8f355ec0_IMGP2889.jpeg

900x900px-LL-7b0ca546_peaches2.jpeg

Here he is as a chick. Behind the lavender chick (no relation I just hatched the eggs together)
He was born more yellow but feathered in buff and blue. He had quite a bit of bluish underfluff especially around his butt area. Mostly gone now. I need to get a hold of him and take some recent pics. He is almost a year old now OR maybe he IS a year!!! I'll have to check my records lol.

900x900px-LL-957e834e_IMGP2645.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the closest thing I have to Blue Tail Buff. His genetics are probably pretty messed up, because he had no resemblance to a BTB as a chick.

I'll post pics of him when he was a chick (quality is bad, the pics were taken with my brother's camera phone). And then I'll post pics of him as an adult. He looks like a Blue Tail Buff now, I will cross him with Black Tail Buff as soon as I have some hens to spare and see what happens.

Here are his chick pics. Due to his color and markings, I thought he was a blue cuckoo.

Your boy's chick pics look like he has some cuckoo genes present? (spot on top of head etc). He does look more like a Blue Tail Buff as an adult.
I will edit my photos above to add a 'chick photo' of my Blue Tailed Buff project roo.

There is a such thing as a Barred Black Tailed Buff Marans.....Here is mine. His name is Cuckoo Baby. His baby pics showed some cuckoo patterning.
900x900px-LL-1a3d8e2d_IMGP0461.jpeg

900x900px-LL-d909499d_BarredBTBbaby.jpeg
This is him on the top (left) has the spot on his head.

Your boy's chick pics look like he has some cuckoo genes present? (spot on top of head etc). He does look more like a Blue Tail Buff as an adult.

That's the strange thing, though. He has no barred feathers anywhere on him, not even a trace of a bar. Yet he had the cuckoo markings as a chick.

I currently have him with a silver cuckoo hen (because I have no cuckoo rooster to put her with), and I've got several of their eggs in the incubator. I'm very curious to see what the offspring will look like.

I don't have a spare BlackTailBuff hen right now, but as soon as I do, I will put her with the blue rooster, and hopefully within a generation or two I'll have some actual Blue Tail Buffs.

His genetics are so weird, maybe I'll even end up with a new color of Marans.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom