Black tailed buff Marans

I just picked up a breeding pair of these quite by accident. A friend got them and decided she did not want them, I jumped at the opportunity. These are under a year old and the pullet is laying a nice dark egg. She has some chicks from this pair that I will be getting also. I plan on hatching some of their eggs soon. They are beautiful birds. I did not know much about them and have been researching and will add them to my list of rare birds I am raising.

I have a quad of black tailed buff marans. They are 10 weeks old right now. The breeder showed me the eggs laid by his stock and they were between a 7 and an 8 on the color scale. Can't wait until mine lay! They are very curious birds, very friendly and great foragers.

I have three hens and a roo. just lost one of mine last night :(... she hurt her leg and i left her in a separated cage over night but she didn't make it overnight.

I culled my original roo because he grew a sprig.. so i have this roo that i think is BTB but is not showing the proper phenotype, i thought he was a wheaten but when i mated him with my wheatens i got a bunch of black tailed buff looking pullets!!!

He is now in the BTB pen and i am collecting the eggs for hatch to see what I get.

I'd love to see more photos of your birds??

Try Connie Zullo in Barnesville, Georgia. Harmony Hill Farm. I got Golden Salmon eggs from her a couple of years ago. Sired by her award-winning GS cock out of outcross hens. They produced about 75% BTB pullets. Just lovely. They carried the desirable Mh gene. I never did get Golden Salmons and eventually left Marans but gave the two pullets to Russ in OH. He had a cock and needed girls. Connie's GS did produce GS for other folk, just not for me. The males I got from the eggs were mismarked but the pullets were lovely BTB. Connie was great to do business with and despite my disappointment in not getting GS, I would recommend her anytime.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Wow! I'd love to see some pictures of these.
I only have a trio of BLue Copper Marans.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom