Black To White Experiment

She's 2yrs old, not a pullet.
Good point, not a pullet at age 2. I mis-typed.

I'm certain it's the mother's side. But will find out when I do the breeding experiment next spring. It is a theory.

If it is actually an allele of the barring gene, she did NOT inherit it from her mother. Barring is on the Z sex chromosome, which a hen gets from her father but not her mother. Her mother gave her a W chromosome (that's why she's female.)

So if she did inherit this trait from her mother, it is not on the Z chromsome, and it cannot be any allele of Barring.

Or, taking it the other way around: if it is an allele of the barring gene, she inherited it from her father, not her mother.

Good point, not a pullet at age 2. I mis-typed.

If it is actually an allele of the barring gene, she did NOT inherit it from her mother. Barring is on the Z sex chromosome, which a hen gets from her father but not her mother. Her mother gave her a W chromosome (that's why she's female.)

So if she did inherit this trait from her mother, it is not on the Z chromsome, and it cannot be any allele of Barring.

Or, taking it the other way around: if it is an allele of the barring gene, she inherited it from her father, not her mother.
Barring is the only conclusion I can think of based on the almost solid white wing feathers of the mother.

Like you said in the other thread, that it maybe recessive, meaning it would need two copies. That seems to behave differently then the typical barring gene then. So both parents would have to carry it.

Could be something completely different, but who knows unless it gets a genetic analysis done.

Barring is the only conclusion I can think of based on the almost solid white wing feathers of the mother.
I am just saying it is genetically IMPOSSIBLE for barring to pass from the mother to the daughter.

Like you said in the other thread, that it maybe recessive, meaning it would need two copies. That seems to behave differently then the typical barring gene then. So both parents would have to carry it.
Not with a sex-linked gene. With sexlinked genes, dominant/recessive only applies to male chickens. A female only has one Z chromosome, inherited from her father, so she just displays the genes that are there.

In the other thread, I was pointing out a way the father could carry it without showing it: if it's recessive. That would matter for him, because he has two Z chromosomes, and we only see the effect of the dominant gene in each pair. But when he gives a sexlinked gene to his daughter, she has no other gene to hide it, so she shows it.

For other genes (not on the sex chromsomes), yes a recessive gene must be inherited from both parents to show in their chicks.

I am just saying it is genetically IMPOSSIBLE for barring to pass from the mother to the daughter.

Not with a sex-linked gene. With sexlinked genes, dominant/recessive only applies to male chickens. A female only has one Z chromosome, inherited from her father, so she just displays the genes that are there.

In the other thread, I was pointing out a way the father could carry it without showing it: if it's recessive. That would matter for him, because he has two Z chromosomes, and we only see the effect of the dominant gene in each pair. But when he gives a sexlinked gene to his daughter, she has no other gene to hide it, so she shows it.

For other genes (not on the sex chromsomes), yes a recessive gene must be inherited from both parents to show in their chicks.
But, my theory though, what if it's a mutation that's not Sex-linked but has branched from the sexlinked barring gene.(Moving away from basics)

But if your theory that it's the father is correct, then Buffy may carry the trait.

Project Wheaten Crele Orpington X Buff Orpington. I don't have updated pictures of her currently.
20210805_155958.jpg

But, my theory though, what if it's a mutation that's not Sex-linked but has branched from the sexlinked barring gene.(Moving away from basics)
Genes don't just hop around between the Z chromosome and any other chromosome.

If it is not on the Z chromosome, it is some OTHER gene, not the barring gene, not an allele of the barring gene, not any mutation of the barring gene.

Genes don't just hop around between the Z chromosome and any other chromosome.

If it is not on the Z chromosome, it is some OTHER gene, not the barring gene, not an allele of the barring gene, not any mutation of the barring gene.
Not what I meant.
Screenshot_20220827-125726_Chrome.jpg

OK, let's try this:
--if it's sexlinked, she did not inherit it from her mother.
--if it's not sexlinked, it's not at the Barring locus. So not an allele of barring.

Are you disagreeing with one of those?
I believe it's a genetic mutation of the barring gene. I just posted something that explains what I meant, within the realms of possibilities.

I'm not agreeing, nor disagreeing.

I believe it's a genetic mutation of the barring gene. I just posted something that explains what I meant, within the realms of possibilities.

I'm not agreeing, nor disagreeing.
To me, that does not at all explain how it could be a "possibility."

But I'm going to quit arguing about it, because it's pretty clear that neither my opinion nor yours is going to change at this point.

Hopefully the breeding test will sort out what's going on, although if this trait only shows up after age 2 we will have to wait a while for the results.

Back
Top Bottom