Black wart type things....**Update with Pictures**

spencerfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
I went out to feed the chickens today and one of my buff orpingtons has black wart like things on her comb and on her eye. She is now seperated and in the chicken hospital. ha ha
Do you know what this is?

Last edited:
I am sorry it has taken me so long to get a picture uploaded but here it is. We have had black on some combs before but it has always gone away. Could it be frost bite?
118.jpg

117.jpg

You'll just have to let the disease run its course. I've heard you can swab iodine on the bumps to help them go away faster. It can take up two 5 weeks for it to clear up. As long as none of your birds get respiratory problems from it they should be fine. You may want to vaccinate for it in the future.

Thanks, Clucky Jay, that is definitely it.
We would rather do as much natural as possible so we have not vaccinated in the past. We will have to see how big of a problem this will be and then reevaluate.
Thank you all again.

You know what I had a rooster who got bumps like that once it ended up being odd scabs on him. Try taking a wet paper towel with warm water and gently dab at them and see if any rusty looking substance comes off onto the paper towel. If it does then it's dried blood, if not then I have no clue.

Back
Top Bottom