black widows

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
Eeek I have found three in my house in the last week dh is in denial and doesn't believe me but boo on him.
so what can I do about them? any recommends! I have of course been killing the ones I see but if I am seeing some I know there are others hiding out.

I'd move... Quick!
barnie.gif

not an option lol. we were told by a pest control guy that if you live in an area that black widows live there is going to be at least one in your house guaranteed.

When we moved in, we had a lot of brown recluse spiders. It was normal to kill or get two or three a night in the sticky traps for a while. We hired an exterminating service to do spider treatments. They spray regularly and set out the stickly traps. It has made a tremendous difference.

The spraying is not just to kill the spiders. It actually is not all that effective against them since they hide in hard to get places. It does greatly reduce their food supply of insects. If they are hungry, many of them leave or maybe they don't reproduce as much.

We still see a few, but it is one or two a month, not two or three every night.

Good luck!

Let your chickens take care of it. Mine LOOOVE black widows.

DB

P.S. Most black widows are completely harmless. They very rarely bite. Believe me, they are far more afraid of you then you are of them.

yea I have three small kids in the house. and a puppy who loves munchin and playing with spiders. chickens in my house would not do so well with my hubby ok or me either. and really black widows just give me the creeps! last night a big one was crawling on the wall right next to me - hubby squashed it for me and then I looked over on the other wall and another one was crawling up that wall eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! and i do make it a habit usually to catch them in a jar and check just to make sure they are actually black widows. but last night was no mercy!! do you know how hard it is to get them out of the jar to flush them down the toilet lmao those spiders really can cling to the sides with their nasty webs.

Look around the outside of your house for other spiders and insects. Spiders prey on other insects, which is why pesticides are a good option. Remove the food supply and the spiders will leave. I have lived with the Black Widows for 15 years and only been bit once and that was my own fault. But as a rule, I spray twice a year and see very few anymore. Just my two cents.

Our exterminator said that the only way to get rid of spiders is to get rid of thier food source and to constantly sweep away thier webs. Good luck...I still have one show up every so often.

Back
Top Bottom