Black with a white butt

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flying_babyb, Mar 27, 2011.

1. flying_babyb

flying_babyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    Ive got three solid yellow chicks, anyone know what breed they are? The bin at Tractor supply was labeled PUTMANS Good Layers. We also have 3 chicks that are mostly black on the body with black wing that have a tiny amout of white and some brown. they also have completly white tushes! Ive looked online but cant figure out what they are. Dont have recent pics sorry!

2. Sparklee

Sparklee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Quote:Do they look like the baby on this page: Australorp

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  3. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    Sorta. Im working on getting my pics to work. There a bit old though;
    [​IMG] with brown on the wings now and a bit of white on the wing tips
    [​IMG] same chick, another view.
    [​IMG] yellow chick

4. Sparklee

Jul 28, 2008
    Those are two different black chicks, right?

The one with brown is not an Australorp. Interesting head coloring.

The one with white feather tips will likely grow up to be a black bird if the chest is white. So you could try going to the privett hatchery website and see what black birds they have. Is the chest white? The black with white tipped feathers, with white bottom and usually a white chest usually means that the chicks will be all black or barred as an adult, but the barred usually has a white dot on head also.

The price might give you some idea of what you got also.

Black Jersey Giant
    Langshan
    Maybe the California Gray, except you'd think there might be a little dot on top of head of white

Okay, I'm out of guesses.

5. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    [​IMG]
    this is the wings of the one im most wondering about. The rest of my black chicks look simmlar. I paid 2.45 at tractor supply. of course, the darn bird wouldnt sit still!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  6. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

The black and gold/brown colored one I'd bet is a GLW, the black and white tux chicks I think are your BA... and the yellow chicks are probably sex links (guessing by the way they were labled)

7. Sparklee

Jul 28, 2008
    Hi, flying_babyb,

I think that Aussieheelr nailed it with the GLW (gold laced wyandotte), but the photos have come through a little blurry on my computer. A GLW will also have a rose comb, where that aren't any pointy spikes, just bumps, to put it simply.

BA=Black Australorp. You probably already know that, but it was only recently that I could remember some of those acronyms.

So you got a good group of layers it looks like. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by