Black X lavender orpington

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You will get black chicks. Lavender is a recessive gene that modifies what would normally be a black feather to have that lavender color. Since it is a recessive gene it has to pair up at the gene pair to have an effect. So the color under that lavender is black. You will get a black chick that has one recessive lavender gene which will not show any effect.

Lavender and the blue/black/splash genes or two totally separate genes though both modify what would be normally black feathers to their shades of blue or lavender. The B/B/S gene is partially dominant, kind of weird. If both genes at that gene pair are B/B/S, you get a Splash, if one is is B/B/S you get a Blue. If neither are B/B/S you get black. This only works if the feather would normally be black.

To get a lavender bid you have to mate a lavender with a lavender.

If you mate a Splash to a Black all of the offspring will be Blue.

If you mate a Splash to a Splash all offspring will be Splash.

If you mate a Splash to a Blue, about half will be Splash and half will be Blue.

If you mate a Blue to a Black about half will be Black, half will be Blue.

If you mate a Blue to a Blue, about 1/4 will be Splash, 1/4 will be Black, and half will be Blue.

These proportions are approximate since the actual handling down of genes is random. If yo hatch 100 chicks they should be fairly close but if you only hatch a handful the proportions can be way off.

All chicks will blue carrying lavender but not expressing it.
That is what I'd expect since lavender is recessive.

But I wonder what would happen with a chick that is pure for lavender but also has one copy of the B/B/S gene. I don't know if you have any experience with that, I sure don't.

Sometimes you can get some really strange effects when you cross certain genes. For example if you have a chicken that is pure for recessive mottling but also has a barred gene you don't get mottled or barred. I think they call that pied. You can really get some surprises sometimes.

That is what I'd expect since lavender is recessive.

But I wonder what would happen with a chick that is pure for lavender but also has one copy of the B/B/S gene. I don't know if you have any experience with that, I sure don't.

Sometimes you can get some really strange effects when you cross certain genes. For example if you have a chicken that is pure for recessive mottling but also has a barred gene you don't get mottled or barred. I think they call that pied. You can really get some surprises sometimes.
I haven’t seen many confirmed “blue lavenders”, but they mostly seem to look like lighter lavenders. Or splashes without the darker spots.

I haven’t heard of that being called pied. Personally, I would probably just call it mottled barred. However, I’m not sure if there’s another shorter name for it.

Back
Top Bottom