Blackberries

Legitmatrix101a

Chirping
Mar 18, 2021
Hi

I have four blackberry plants which are blooming. I was excited to get blackberries but after the blackberry flower petals shriveled up and fell off the blackberry on the inside died and dried up. I had given the plants 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer to help with growth so I dont think it was a nutrient deficiency problem. Please help so that I don't lose all my blackberries. Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know the answer. I have a row of thornless, heirloom blackberries and because of the crazy weather, those berries -- along with my peaches, aronias and tomatoes -- are ripening much earlier than usual. Maybe, just maybe, your situation is weather-related? Again, purely a guess on my part.

I have never fertilized my blackberries, but in past years, they always ripened when I was away on vacation. So, I didn't see a need to help them flourish just to feed wild birds.

Hope someone can give you a good answer.

Has it been dry there? Fruit is the most expensive thing for a plant to produce (takes lots of energy). So when the plant is stressed, the fruit is usually the first thing sacrificed.

We had a bumper crop of wild blackberries here and enjoyed about 1/2 the harvest. Then the rain stopped and we didn't get a drop for 3 wks combined with high temps (upper 80s low 90s). The 2nd half of branches loaded with red berries about to mature shriveled up and went to waste.

Wild blackberry doesn't require fertilizer, they do better without it. They just need a lot of sunshine. My patch have a lot of thorns, I wouldn't walk through it to pick the berries in the middle area, so it goes to the birds.

Has it been dry there? Fruit is the most expensive thing for a plant to produce (takes lots of energy). So when the plant is stressed, the fruit is usually the first thing sacrificed.

We had a bumper crop of wild blackberries here and enjoyed about 1/2 the harvest. Then the rain stopped and we didn't get a drop for 3 wks combined with high temps (upper 80s low 90s). The 2nd half of branches loaded with red berries about to mature shriveled up and went to waste.
I live in Texas and its mid-summer which means we have temperatures in the high 90's low 100's but I water my container blackberries once every 2 days and they are very drought resistant.

My older blackberry bush did fine in NJ, but we had a very wet and cool spring. The younger one, planted last spring, did not produce fruit, though. Actually, it's been a good year for fruit so far. I have twice the normal number of apples, and the peach tree I was considering getting rid of seems like it will produce well.

I never fertilize or spray any of them, so it's a miracle I get anything!

Back
Top Bottom