Blackberries

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by VT Chick-lit, Aug 22, 2008.

1. VT Chick-lit

VT Chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

I am looking fro blackberry recipes. I Planted blackberries two years ago and we picked 6 pints this year.

I am also am trying to find out if blackberry canes can be cut back in the early spring (March) and fertilized with a 10-10-10 fertilizer in May so that the berries will ripen in the end of September, after the birds are gone. We treat our raspberries this way and we get a bumper crop each September-October. Our raspberries are ever bearing and we choose to skip the summer crop to avoid fighting the birds. There is so much knowledge on this site, I hope someone will know.

2. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    love black berries. Jelly is # 1 with me then black berry pie with or with out apples

but if you go to this link they list so many wonderful things.

http://www.homestead-farm.net/RecipeBlackberry.html

Black berry thump print cookies here .

Blackberry jelly in my oatmeal and yogurt

Black berry tarts yumm.

Can think alot of uses for them, but I dont eat them plain.

ML

3. VT Chick-lit

[​IMG] They all sound so yummy! [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I thought black berries produced on 2nd year canes? At least the invasive type we have here does. Beat the plants up, shred them, take in machetes and one bird dropping = a field of blackberries and tons of berries the following year even after trying to kill it all.

I usually just turn it all in to juice. Toss 4 cups into a blender, strain, add one part water to the remaining seeds, blend, and add sugar to taste.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    This is easy to whip up, I found it in Southern Living July issue...

Preheat oven to 375. Place 4 cups of fresh blackberries in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Stir together 1 large egg, 1 cup sugar ( I add alittle more sugar) and 1 cup all-purpose flour in a medium bowl until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle over fruit. Drizzle 6 Tbsp. melted butter over topping. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream. 6 servings

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Blackberry-Almond Crumb Cake
    From Cooking Light
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recip … 47_1030852

Note* I used full fat ingredients, omitted the almond extract and upped the vanilla to 2 teaspoons. I added the extra egg yolk + 2 T. flour to the batter (saw no reason to waist it).
    *I used half of an 8oz cream cheese +1T sugar.
    *I also used frozen blackberries and blackberry jam instead of raspberries, it’s what I had on hand.

1-cup all-purpose flour
    1/3-cup sugar
    1/8-teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup chilled stick margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
    1/2-teaspoon baking powder
    1/4-teaspoon baking soda
    1/3-cup fat-free sour cream
    2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
    1-teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1 large egg
    Cooking spray
    3 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 large egg white
    1/4 cup raspberry preserves
    1/3-cup fresh raspberries
    2 tablespoons sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/3-cup sugar, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Reserve 1/2-cup flour mixture for topping; set aside.

Combine remaining flour mixture, baking powder, and baking soda, and add sour cream, milk, extracts, and egg. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until blended. Spoon the batter into an 8-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray.

Combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, and egg white; beat at medium speed until blended. Spread evenly over batter; dot with preserves. Top with raspberries. Combine the reserved 1/2-cup flour mixture and almonds. Sprinkle crumb mixture over raspberries. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool on a wire rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. VT Chick-lit

BettyR, your Blackberry Almond Crumb Cake looks fabulous! I think I will make some today with the blackberries that I picked. I hope mine comes out as good!

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    If you have an ice cream maker, blackberry ice cream is aces. Sorry, I don't have a recipie off the top of my head- but if you do have an ice cream maker, it may have come with instructions to make the dessert itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by