Blackgranite's Chicks

Hello and welcome! I'm sorry one of your chickens has a broken foot. Hopefully you will get some advise about that soon. Your farm sounds lovely. I would like to add some goats to our menagerie in the future. Be sure to add some photos. We love photos! :)
If you get goats, just know that they are horrible at getting worms. We have found it almost essential to have our own microscope and fecal exam parafrenalia. If you want the for the milk than I say, go ahead, but if you just want them for pets/ meat/ mowers, I would recommend Hair Sheep. great for meat, good pets, eat like goats, and even look like goats to the untrained eye. They also need far less maintenence than goats.
But good luck on your endeavor and thanks for responding!:)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I also agree that you should start a thread in the ER forum for your hen with the broken foot. Post pictures of it after you've cleaned it up as good as you can without hurting her further. I would keep her in a crate with soft bedding at a minimum to restrict her movement. Good luck with her.
Yea, I've got her in a box by the fire. she's enjoying being spoiled ;)

If you get goats, just know that they are horrible at getting worms. We have found it almost essential to have our own microscope and fecal exam parafrenalia. If you want the for the milk than I say, go ahead, but if you just want them for pets/ meat/ mowers, I would recommend Hair Sheep. great for meat, good pets, eat like goats, and even look like goats to the untrained eye. They also need far less maintenence than goats.
But good luck on your endeavor and thanks for responding!:)

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to research hair sheep!

Speaking of hair sheep, one of my hens is so totally attached to one of our ewes. They sleep together, eat together, go everywhere together. I can't for the life of me get her to go with the rest of the flock! I've banished her from the sheep pasture, and she took one look at the flock, turned around and spent the rest of the day finding her way back into the sheep pasture and her friend. So now I just let it be. Anybody else seen a strange friendship like this? (off, topic, but our corn snake once befriended a mouse and wouldn't eat it)

Back
Top Bottom