Blackhead Disease Monterey County?

I had a couple of broad-breasted whites that lived to be 3 or 4, I think, and @DylansMom had one that lived to be 9, so it is possible to keep them as pets.
Oh that is great news! May I asked what you fed them? I have heard 28-30% protein to start but other people say if raising for pets to feed them starter with 22-24% protein. What did you feed yours that lived long lives? I don't want to bulk it up more than needed but don't want it's legs to not develop right to support its weight

Oh that is great news! May I asked what you fed them? I have heard 28-30% protein to start but other people say if raising for pets to feed them starter with 22-24% protein. What did you feed yours that lived long lives? I don't want to bulk it up more than needed but don't want it's legs to not develop right to support its weight
They need the higher protein to start. After they are 6 weeks old you can go with a lower protein feed. The problem with a lower protein starter to start is that it is also lower in lysine, methionine and niacin which are critical to them getting a good start.

Mine got a 27% turkey starter until they started free-ranging with the chickens & ducks, then they got lay pellets.

They need the higher protein to start. After they are 6 weeks old you can go with a lower protein feed. The problem with a lower protein starter to start is that it is also lower in lysine, methionine and niacin which are critical to them getting a good start.
Thank you so very much for all of this helpful information!

I have heard that about garlic too. The study was published in the Archives of Animal Nutrition by two researchers at the Institute of Poultry Diseases in Berlin:

http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/gaan20
"Efficacy of a herbal product against
Histomonas meleagridis after
experimental infection of turkey poults"-
Prof. Hafez Mohamed Hafez a
& Rüdiger Hauck aa
Institute of Poultry Diseases, Free University Berlin , Germany
Published online: 25 Jan 2007.

I have heard alliums are not to be given to chickens but then others say to give garlic for worm prevention. Very confusing to me.

I think I will try the red pepper flakes
Garlic will not prevent worms no matter who says it will.

Back
Top Bottom