Bland tasting roosters

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by marymac, Mar 16, 2011.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    This past fall I butchered 4 roosters total. Two were 4 mths and the other 2 were 5 mths old. First ones were BO, and the other 2 were BLRW. They all have been very bland tasting, and the BLRW were more chewy but not tough, just basically tasteless. Has any one else had this experience? I want to raise a few more pullets but am not looking forward to eating my culls if this is what I have to look forward to.

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    hmmm, I've not had that happen. Are you saying bland compared to grocery store birds? they are usually injected with a saline solution could that be the tast you are missing? What did you feed them?

3. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:I probably am comparing the taste to store bought as that is what I'm used to, but I did brine one of them befor I fryed it and the results were the same. For the most part they have been getting Layenna feed, and a few table scraps when I have them but not very often and tey usually were allowed to free range about 11/2 hr in the evenings if the weather allowed me to stay out and watch them.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    well, then I would suggest that maybe you should try some CX. Personally I like their flavor better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by