Blastocystis

lynx04

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 16, 2015
San Diego, CA USA
My chicken just got diagnosed with this. I got her as a pullet and she's had a dirty bottom for the entire time I've had her (about 3 months now). First I treated her for lice, then worms, then a yeast infection to no avail. I finally bit the bullet and took her for a fecal occult test. The vet says he has never seen this before, but was able to diagnose what it was. He said the treatment is Fenbendazole for 5 days and then repeated again in 14 days. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this?

Never heard of this parasite, but read about it just now, and WOW!

Words of caution from what I read, the parasite is transmitable to humans. The articles I read said sometimes antibiotics work, other times not. Sometimes the parasite clears up, sometimes it is chronic. If I were you I would also incorporate Apple cider vinegar into her drinking water. I didn't see any suggestions for this, but it makes sense to me and can't hurt matters. Please keep me updated on the status of your chicken. Hoping she battles off this bug quickly.

I know this thread is older, but what was the outcome for your bird? I recently had a fecal float test performed for my flock (mixed sample provided for testing with one dropping from each bird) and it came back positive for blastocystis...vet is under the impression that they can be good and bad (bad in large numbers but a small presence can stimulate good gut health) and also prescribed fenbendazole for treatment. I can't find much online about them (in layman's terms anyway; plenty of studies and medical journal papers).

I apologize for the late response to this. Unfortunately, she died shortly after the diagnosis. I medicated her according to the instructions, but never got her cleaned up. How about your girl? How is she faring?

Back
Top Bottom