Bleached out birds how to fix it

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mustangsaguaro, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I have some silkies one white and one paint I plan on showing come Jan. Currently both are outside w/ their buddies during the day. I have reason to believe the sun is bleaching them out as they have a bit of yellowing in their feathers. I am wondering if I remove them from being out in the sun all day long if that will help w/ the sun bleached coats or am I pretty much SOL. I was planning on moving them to an indoor (out of the sun coop) on Oct 1 and they wouldn't return to the outdoors until my Jan shows are over. Can someone please give me your thoughts on this.

Thanks

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi there.... I syggest asking in the "silkie" thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I believe bleaching to be a genetic trait, there are many birds that are exposed to the sun and wont get bleached at all, look for them and use them in your flock

4. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Use a blueing shampoo it is often sold in the horse section, you can also use Tide with bleach alternative both will help with sun brassing (yellowing due the sun) Sun bleaching would require a molt to resolve

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yep, it actually damages feathers, not just stains them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by