Bleaching eggs?

Give her a blank stare and ask why she needs the shell bleached. Is she planning on licking the eggs before cracking them open to cook?

Last edited:
LOL. Indeed- that's just what hunny said too- more eggs for us!! The girls were over at their house and wanted to come home (which is literally around the corner) to get our eggs because they had run out, and thus, they got this drivel. Next time (if there is one- seriously, you would think we'd learn that every time we let them stay there, they come home with this kind of baloney), I'll have my son either walk them over or send them initially, with a note saying they absolutely are not allowed to eat any, but the girls can fix their own....
celebrate.gif

Nonny- they already "explained" this because the egg comes out where the poop comes out, and therefore needs to be sanitized.... I could go and explain it to them, but I think it it gets brought up, I will show them the USDA website. I could give them a lesson on chicken anatomy, but they would just think I am making it up....
he.gif

Quote:
Aren't in-laws crazy? I tried to explain to my fiance's grandfather how a hen DOES NOT need a rooster to lay eggs. He grew up on a commercial egg farm (over a thousand hens +) and he would not hear of it.
barnie.gif

He almost seemed angry that I disagreed with him!
smack.gif

Quote:
Heh, and this was after one of the last ones (in addition to the "hummingbirds will die if you've been feeding them and you stop, because they rely on your food and will starve") of "the best way to carry a chicken is upside down by the legs." Just gets old, you know, being a "dumba$$" and all.
roll.png

But hey, maybe you can gift your fiance's grandpa with some faux eggs coming from your rooster-less hens.... And wow- how many roosters for all those 1,000 plus hens? And how did he ensure that the roosters made it to every hen?
gig.gif

so dumb questions then......just rinse off with water? soap and water? some kind of egg wash? mine just started laying, i was wondering what everyone else recommends for washing eggs...

I just wipe them with a damp cloth if they are dirty.

I always refer to my chicken eggs as very fresh-straight from the chickens butt. Everyone laughs. I always bring a bunch down to my parents in a big Massachusetts city. They share with the neighbors who think eggs right fomr the butt are great!

So what should you do if they are REALLY dirty? Like with mud and straw and no telling what else? I get some from someone else occasionally when I don't have enough from my own hens. I have been washing the eggs pretty vigorously in warm running water, because the goo is dried on. The eggs are still stained and don't look attractive at all. Anyone know a better way to do this? (I don't wash mine, as my girls use a clean nest box)

Quote:
If you refrigerate the mucky ones for a short while, when you get them out again the condensation that forms should make it a lot easier to wipe off the muck.

For the dirty ones I just clean them as best I can, and make sure I use them in a recipe where they get fully cooked.

I don't get any REALLY mucky ones, but if I did I'd probably hard boil it and feed it back to the girls.

I wash my dishes in bleach just in case eggs fresh from chicken butts have touched or even been near them. The same treatment as with forks, knives and spoons ! can stand even thinking ABOUT fresh from the butts eggs. dreadfull uggh

Seriously wash everything with bleach just to make sure that it is clean !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom