BLechhhhhh

smokeykk

Songster
8 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Pennsylvania
We keep straw in our run so that the chickens don't tear the ground up too much, but last night we had an awful rain had to have been an inch or more. So this is the first time it's rained this bad since we had them in the coop! Its all muddy now, so I took the old straw out and left there be nothing more than a couple loose strands of straw on the ground. I'm hoping it dries out by tommmorow because we are leaving for the weekend, and I don't want my grandmother (petsitting) to have to put the straw in. I'm just hoping its not a squishy, slippery, muddy, smelly mess by tommorow
fl.gif

I have sand in my run and will never go back. Pooh cleaning is easy. The moisture seeps down into the sand. No mud, No slip 'n slide. And the chickens don't get as dirty. Around here there is always free sand available on Craigslist. Or buying in the store is pretty economical, too. Give her a try.

I would definitely consider using sand instead of straw. I have even used pine shavings in the run when in a pinch.

Sand, absolutely! Everything dries out quickly and everyone stays clean.

The sand here is at least 10 feet deep (as far as we saw when our house's foundation was poured). When the run gets dirty, I dig a hole about a foot deep and 2 feet in diameter and rake all the dirty stuff (poop and wood shavings from the coop) into it and cover it back over. It eliminates any smells and composts right inside the run. Returned it all to the earth!

Back
Top Bottom