Bleeding and possibly dehydrated. Need to treat

TMarie

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2013
I have 13 8wk old Cortunix quail that I've just put in their new hutch Tuesday night
Snapchat-2072911392.jpg
. My plan is to get rid of the males once I figure out who they are. About half of the 13 have been missing feathers at the neck but I thought the new, larger hutch would help. I couldn't figure out where to hang their water so I put a bowl in there yesterday until I could get a better waterer. It was hot and of course the bowl had been tipped over. So I put the new waterer in last night. (And it flooded the sand bottom this morning :hit)
All my quail appear to be slightly weaker, so I'm assuming they're dehydrated. And after my 2nd check on them this morning, I noticed about half of them bleeding from the necks. So they're still fighting!

So I just put the bloody ones back in the brooder and I'm headed to the store to get sav a chick and anything else you guys suggest for dehydration and bleeding. Thank you in advance!

I have 13 8wk old Cortunix quail that I've just put in their new hutch Tuesday nightView attachment 1474129 . My plan is to get rid of the males once I figure out who they are. About half of the 13 have been missing feathers at the neck but I thought the new, larger hutch would help. I couldn't figure out where to hang their water so I put a bowl in there yesterday until I could get a better waterer. It was hot and of course the bowl had been tipped over. So I put the new waterer in last night. (And it flooded the sand bottom this morning :hit)
All my quail appear to be slightly weaker, so I'm assuming they're dehydrated. And after my 2nd check on them this morning, I noticed about half of them bleeding from the necks. So they're still fighting!

So I just put the bloody ones back in the brooder and I'm headed to the store to get sav a chick and anything else you guys suggest for dehydration and bleeding. Thank you in advance!

That’s not the best pen for quail since they don’t roost or typically climb ramps. You’re better off just having a completely open pen with some tarp on top for shade. They might be fighting more due to lack of space.

At 8 weeks it should be very obvious which are males. Just look for the rusty red coloured chest and face. I would only keep 1, maybe 2 males depending on how many females there are.

As for dehydration, just keep the pen more shaded and continue giving them water.

Yes no need for special additives just make water available to them. A basic waterer should work fine. You can just elevate it a couple of inches using wood or bricks so they don't mess it up.

Your pen looks small and not many options (like cover) for them to get away from each other. I would only have one male in there with however many females you have.

If they are pharaoh colors, you can tell the males very easily. If not, pick one up and press gently near the vent. If foam comes out, it's a male. You need a couple of small cages or something to sort them into as you sex them.

I would keep your extra males around for a bit to make sure the lucky boy you choose to be with the ladies isn't a bully. If he is, you can change him out for another one.

Back
Top Bottom