Bleeding beak

Thorntonj108

Chirping
Apr 6, 2022
I’ve noticed that two of my chicks have beaks like this. This particular one is hunched over like it has coccidia. I have already started treating for that however I find it strange that two birds have beaks like this. My other chicken that has this going on has started to limp on her left leg. Just wondering what this could be…

I did get a young opossum out of my barn the other night. Possible that it has bitten my birds?

Attachments

• 43A4B48D-0181-403F-9365-A53FD1BB7D05.jpeg
    43A4B48D-0181-403F-9365-A53FD1BB7D05.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 7
Possibly got her beak hung in fencing, maybe ran into something.
If you have a predator lurking about, chickens will often run. flush or ram right into housing/fencing, breaking beaks, toenails and injuring themselves.

Check your fluffed up Gal for more injury or bruising.

A broken beak can be very painful, so her stance may be a reaction of pain and shock. Keep her hydrated and offer wet feed. She's going to be tender for several days. I would not attempt to fix the beak, let it heal on its own.

If you have Possum, you likely have other things roaming about. Setting up a game cam can shed some light on what's going on in the dark. You'd be surprised at what you might find.

Possibly got her beak hung in fencing, maybe ran into something.
If you have a predator lurking about, chickens will often run. flush or ram right into housing/fencing, breaking beaks, toenails and injuring themselves.

Check your fluffed up Gal for more injury or bruising.

A broken beak can be very painful, so her stance may be a reaction of pain and shock. Keep her hydrated and offer wet feed. She's going to be tender for several days. I would not attempt to fix the beak, let it heal on its own.

If you have Possum, you likely have other things roaming about. Setting up a game cam can shed some light on what's going on in the dark. You'd be surprised at what you might find.

Back
Top Bottom