Bleeding Comb? (sorry, no pic)

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello

In the past few weeks I noticed a dry "wound" on one tip of her young comb on my 5-month old New Hampshire Red pullet. It looked a lot like a dry wound - when you get a cut or an open, wet wound, later on it will become hard and solid. After a few days, that tip of her comb began to swell, as if there's liquid in it. Another few days later and the comb was bleeding! I was shocked to see this. It seemed that her swollen comb has "exploded" although there is still a remaining inflated part. What do you think has caused this? What should I do to the wound? She lives in a coop with a cockerel of the same breed and age, and they grew up together and never leave each other behind. She seems to be doing fine. Extremely sorry for the loss of pics. No matter what I do, I can't get a steady pic!

Thanks in advance!

apparently it was infected...clean and disinfect and apply triple antibiotic creme to the area.

Do you live in an area where frostbite can be a problem? Frostbite does the same kind of thing. In my opinion, you have two options, you can just let it heal on it's own, or dub it. Either way, you can put the bird on a broad spectrum antibiotic for a few days to help with any kind of infection. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom