BLEEDING comb: when is it "non leathally" bleeding??

ryujinfantasy

Chirping
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Wright City
I came home today to find my young (8 mo?) Rooster with a heavily injured comb. It was shredded and dangling so I opted to shear the rest off to hopefully make treating a little easier.

After trimming with sterilized scissors, I used copious amounts of stop bleed powder--which mostly helped but it still kept flowing! I read that you can use tiny amounts of super glue (like with humans). This also helped.

Finally, after all of that stuff--along with ice and pressure--the bleeding was mostly stopped. When dabbed with a clean white cloth, it was only slightly yellow (no red). So I isolated him in a big tub with some bedding and covered the top to make it quiet and dark.

When I checked on him an hour later, he had opened it again--! So I dabbed at it to wipe up the blood but it was gummy and didn't wipe up or make the tissue red.

What I want to know is: will he be okay if I keep my eye on him? When is it considered an "okay" amount of blood? Last time I checked, he wasn't actually bleeding--just had crust mostly (scabbing) and that one patch of gummy ooze. Not even dripping!

I would give him lots of water, he will have dehydrated. how much blood was on the ground? I think that as long as it isn't bleeding anymore he should be okay

It may be an idea not to wipe the scab away or try to clean the tissue as this should reduce the chances of re opening the wound. If scabs are forming they should fall off once the tissue has healed. I'd also consider adding electrolytes or vitamin supplements to the drinking water.

Good luck

Ct

Great idea! I think I have one of those packets lying around.

Also, an update: I just checked on him and the gummy part is dry and black now. He did open one tiny spot at some point but it never bled very much and is also dry.

Thanks for the reassuring words guys :)

He should be fine... their combs are designed for battle wounds when the roosters fight.

They bleed so much as they are full of blood vessels to make them that red colour.

You should just leave it alone now its mostly stopped bleeding. No need to clean it or anything. Its very rare for them to get an infection if they are a healthy bird.

You will be very surprised how quickly it heals up... they head super fast.

Back
Top Bottom