Bleeding

HayleyCrum

Songster
Feb 27, 2022
East Tennessee
One of my Pekins feet is bleeding on her heel, what do i do? Its not an insane amount of blood but i dont want it to get infected, this is my first time experiencing blood with ducks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 7E9A082D-14B2-479F-A0CD-FD0D605AC908.png
    7E9A082D-14B2-479F-A0CD-FD0D605AC908.png
    663.3 KB · Views: 2
I would probably give it a nice soak in warm water/epsom salt and apply some triple antibiotic ointment afterwards.

What are you keeping them on? I just spent the day removing a bunch of rocks from my duck's pen, which I had meticulously inspected/placed to avoid problems in the first place, because even the smallest/roundest/softest rocks seem to be too rough for their feet. I don't think you'd want your ducks regularly walking on what's pictured above.

I would probably give it a nice soak in warm water/epsom salt and apply some triple antibiotic ointment afterwards.

What are you keeping them on? I just spent the day removing a bunch of rocks from my duck's pen, which I had meticulously inspected/placed to avoid problems in the first place, because even the smallest/roundest/softest rocks seem to be too rough for their feet. I don't think you'd want your ducks regularly walking on what's pictured above.
As ^ ^ ^ on all counts. Ducks have such delicate feet, even though they may look like old leather. They can even get injuries from walking all day on smooth concrete

Last edited:
One of my Pekins feet is bleeding on her heel, what do i do? Its not an insane amount of blood but i dont want it to get infected, this is my first time experiencing blood with ducks
Is there a reason she's on the stones? That definitely isn't good for her feet, I wouldn't want my ducks walking on it even just for a moment. As others have said already, their feet are delicate, and cuts/small injuries on their feet can lead to bumblefoot infections. I think this is especially true for heavy breeds like pekins, who are prone to leg and feet issues.
So it's important to keep them on softer ground.
A warm epsom salt foot soak will help to clean it, but prevent her drinking the water.
Perhaps once it's stopped bleeding/on it's way to healing you could get us another photo of her feet? That way we can ensure she doesn't have bumble or other issues and is on her way to recovering.

Is there a reason she's on the stones? That definitely isn't good for her feet, I wouldn't want my ducks walking on it even just for a moment. As others have said already, their feet are delicate, and cuts/small injuries on their feet can lead to bumblefoot infections. I think this is especially true for heavy breeds like pekins, who are prone to leg and feet issues.
So it's important to keep them on softer ground.
A warm epsom salt foot soak will help to clean it, but prevent her drinking the water.
Perhaps once it's stopped bleeding/on it's way to healing you could get us another photo of her feet? That way we can ensure she doesn't have bumble or other issues and is on her way to recovering.
i will definitely take another picture and post it, and do this tonight thank you!

Back
Top Bottom