Blending chicks with 2 Roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kile529, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kile529

kile529 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2011
    I posted this in "Managing your Flock" but I haven't had any response yet. [​IMG]

I tried searching the forum for the answer, but everyone seemed to have adult hens and Roos they were trying to blend their pullets/chicks with. Ive kept my girls in a "coop within a coop" for 5 weeks now (they're about 6 weeks old) and they've gotten comfortable sitting by the edge of the fence while the Roos are right there by them. The bantam Roos were my mom's....and her hens just started laying today.....so they're not "real old". When would it be okay to blend the girls in with the two boys? I'm not sure how agressive the boys might be....
    What are your thoughts??

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I can't help you bit it might bump you. i'm in the same boat as i soon have to integrate my chicks to my currant flock.

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Personally I would give them 2-4 more weeks yet until they are fully feathered and a little bigger, but you can try integrating them anytime you want. You have to watch that the older birds (I would worry about the older hens more then the roosters, unless some of the younger ones ARE roosters, although young cockerels usually get along with the older cocks due to their low aggression at a young age) don't starve or dehydrate the younger ones by constantly chasing them away from the feeder and waterer, but as long as the young ones have a place to hide and food and water they should do great![​IMG]

[​IMG] and good luck on your present and future chicken-keeping adventures! MW

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I would wait awhile until they are about 3 or 4 months old. If you do introduce them earlier then I would make them a safe place to escape to. Some of the other birds will probably pick on them. Good luck and have fun...

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    As long as you've had them side-by-side for awhile you should be okay letting them all together. There will be some initial pecking and chasing - but it should settle down. I don't think the older roos will try to mate the younger chicks since the younger chicks aren't of age yet - but I don't have any experience with that. You will just want to keep an eye on their interactions and make sure the young ones have hiding places in case the older ones get too aggressive. I have 4 roos (11 weeks old) and 5 pullets (one 11 wk and three 8 week) - I merged the younger ones with the older ones and after a couple of days of chasing and pecking it all settled down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by