Blending flocks

jcaststeel

Hatching
May 12, 2015
Hello,

I joined for three-year-old Rhode Island Reds with 6 1-year-old Rhode Island Reds. In a large coop, the older ones don't fight, but they won't come down to eat or drink. Will they get over this?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Maybe the younger ones are bullying the older ones out of the feed and water? This can happen when you add new flock members. Adding extra feed and water stations can help so everyone has chance to eat and drink. A change in flock dynamics when you add new birds can cause stress for them too. Did you have them next to each other seperated by wire to become aquainted before adding them? This really helps on them getting to know each other prior to the actual adding. Here is a lovely article on adding new flock members > https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC :frow

They were in another coop close by. I let them go around my yard together, but they didn't intermingle much. I put an extra feeder and waterer but they didn't use it.

Could you partition the current run so old and young can each have a side without being bullied? Have water and feed on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom