Blending new flock members

I have 2 roosters 11 yrs and game/game bantam, so mid size and a tiny OEGB roo who is 4 yrs old. They manage to live okay with each other, my old roo still is healthy and ruler of the flock except for the geese he respects them. So hopefully your 2 roos will do fine together. Making sure they have enough females is important. Might want to add some extra hens. And enough room I am not sure my roos would be okay penned with each other. But they do sleep in the same coop together.
Good advice, I want to add a couple more hens! Right now our coop is small so I don’t want to add more until my husband finishes the big coop, then the famous chicken math comes into play. You can already tell the one roo is the ruler, the other one doesn’t seem to mind and has actually taken to following my husband everywhere. Hopefully they will be okay, like yours are! Once they are a bit older they will have lots of free ranging room and only be penned at night - so maybe we will be able to keep them both in the end!
Also, funny you say that about the geese. Our chickens already give them a wide berth.

Doesn't take them long to figure out whos in charge. lol My goose Missy doesn't like when breeding season gets into full swing, it's okay for her and her mate but not for everyone else, she likes to break up any mating going on. I can't imagine not have the goofy things sure makes life fun and interesting.
Hope it works out to keep them both.
I never thought I could have Runners held off for years getting them because i had Muscovy and always thought my drake would mate with the small framed Runners and injure them, well I got eggs 5 yrs ago and my Muscovy hatched out Runners and Buffs, I ended up with 2 Runner drakes and 8 females and my Muscovy drake has never touched them not even to pick a fight with the drakes. Now if there was another Muscovy drake here I'd have to keep them separated. But he doesn't care one bit about the runners. Now if I could just convince my Runner drake to stop chasing my Muscovy females.

Doesn't take them long to figure out whos in charge. lol My goose Missy doesn't like when breeding season gets into full swing, it's okay for her and her mate but not for everyone else, she likes to break up any mating going on. I can't imagine not have the goofy things sure makes life fun and interesting.
Hope it works out to keep them both.
I never thought I could have Runners held off for years getting them because i had Muscovy and always thought my drake would mate with the small framed Runners and injure them, well I got eggs 5 yrs ago and my Muscovy hatched out Runners and Buffs, I ended up with 2 Runner drakes and 8 females and my Muscovy drake has never touched them not even to pick a fight with the drakes. Now if there was another Muscovy drake here I'd have to keep them separated. But he doesn't care one bit about the runners. Now if I could just convince my Runner drake to stop chasing my Muscovy females.
Haha. The small ones are the antagonists in all animals I guess!! More good news from you, as I want runners soooo bad. Maybe next year, the local farm we got the Muscovys from just started breeding runners! I am going to focus on these babies for now.
It sounds like your flock has things figured out, it’s nice to be able to converse about our feathered friends with like minded people! Do you have a photo of your flock? I’d love to see them!

Most of my flock are getting up in age, I have a female Muscovy who is 14 yrs old my gander is 14 also his mate is 9 then my other Muscovy are 10 and 9 yrs old. All hatched here. My Runners and Buffs are 5 yrs down to 2 yrs. The chickens are 11 yrs down to 7 weeks. So we have a variety.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/default.5985799/
a few older pics.
I'll have to get on my phone for more.

Most of my flock are getting up in age, I have a female Muscovy who is 14 yrs old my gander is 14 also his mate is 9 then my other Muscovy are 10 and 9 yrs old. All hatched here. My Runners and Buffs are 5 yrs down to 2 yrs. The chickens are 11 yrs down to 7 weeks. So we have a variety.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/default.5985799/
a few older pics.
I'll have to get on my phone for more.
Love them! They’re gorgeous! And I also love your setup!

Runners as they age begin to change colors
5103E1E6-C23A-4D39-9A27-0BA4673101B1.jpeg
14E876BF-8ED8-4830-A191-7CF6D887069B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom