Blind and traumatized chicken

The older chicken will not no eat or drink and when we shove food down her throat she spits it back up. The other chicken is now limping. What should I do? Please help me!!!

I'm sorry you're still having trouble.

Do you still have them both separated from the flock?

It sounds like the older chicken may not be able to process her food. Is the crop emptying at all if you do get food into her - is she pooping? Some hens can hang in there for a while, but she may be declining due to her injuries and age. If she continues to not eat or be able to process her food, then you may need to consider putting her down.

The other chicken, if you let her back into the flock, then she may have re-injured something. If you haven't done so, then you may want to separate her so she can heal a bit longer. Add some poultry vitamins containing B2(Riboflavin) to her water to see if she improves over the course of a few days.

I know you are doing everything you can and taking good care of both of them.
hugs.gif

The older chicken is dying and the other chicken is still limping. What should we do? Here are some pics.

I am so sorry
hugs.gif

If you feel that the older chicken is dying/suffering, then the kindest thing to do would put her out of her misery. I know it's a difficult decision,
but you have cared for and loved her for around 12days and she is declining, so it is most likely time. Take comfort that you did everything you could for her.

The other chicken that is limping --- is she still eating/drinking/pooping normally? How much mobility does she have. She may need to be confined for a while to see if she will heal. Some leg injuries can take several weeks to heal.

Keep us posted.

The older chicken passed away the day after labor day. Rest in peace Hay. Here is a picture of her.

The first pic is when she was young and the other was when she was older.

The older chicken passed away the day after labor day. Rest in peace Hay. Here is a picture of her.

The first pic is when she was young and the other was when she was older.

I have good news for everyone! Bernadette (the other one) is now with the other chickens.
yippiechickie.gif
She still has a limp and the mean one still picks on her. But MY chicken Thelma takes care of her. All three of the Brahmas are scared of the Silver Laced Windotte (Imajean). When I go into the coop/run, Bernadette will run up to me and hide behind my legs.

I have good news for everyone! Bernadette (the other one) is now with the other chickens.
yippiechickie.gif
She still has a limp and the mean one still picks on her. But MY chicken Thelma takes care of her. All three of the Brahmas are scared of the Silver Laced Windotte (Imajean). When I go into the coop/run, Bernadette will run up to me and hide behind my legs.

I'm glad to hear she is better!

Watch the picking, if Imajean is too mean, then cage her for a few days to see if she will calm down a bit. One of my SLW can be a bit peckish at times especially at night when jockeying for roosting positions .
It sounds like Thelma is a sweetheart and Bernadette has enjoyed all the TLC you have given her
smile.png

Thank you for the update, I hope they all continue to do well.

Back
Top Bottom