Blind baby bunnys? (Pictures)

into_my_web

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Newfoundland
We recently adopted a group of four to five week old baby bunnies, they seemed fine at first but now they all have blue-ish tinted eyes and spots on their eyes and seem blind.
I have pictures of the bun with the worst eyes.
Does anyone know what this could be?
I was thinking cataracts, but now I'm not so sure.

Sorry about the picture sizes.
hmm.png

084.jpg

063.jpg

073.jpg

We named this baby Nutmeg, she's a sweet little thing.

Last edited:
Awww, i hope they arent blind..
Are rabbits born with cloudy/blue eyes like cats and dogs?
Maybe they are younger than you were told?

I once received a call from a man who had found a baby squirrel. He was feeding it some sort of human baby formula. When I picked it up from him, he told me it was blind. It's eyes looked exactly like those bunnies' eyes. I brought the squirrel to a rehabber and asked her what she thought, she said it was due to some sort of deficiency and they'd be corrected with the appropriate diet. Apparently, she'd seen this a lot when orphaned babies weren't being fed appropriately. Where were these guys before you had them?

in squirrels its a calcium deficiency. These bunnies might not be blind, because you can see the iris under the cloudiness. They probably just see in a haze.

These are domestic rabbits, not wild rabbits, correct?

I do think their vision is compromised and like other posters I wouldn't be shocked if it was a nutrition issue, especially given how young they are.
sad.png
I would get them on a high quality pellet NOW, and let them eat all they want. If you want a better shot at saving their vision, a vet visit is probably in order.

Back
Top Bottom