Blind Chick - help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GD91, Oct 24, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    So I hatched 6 chicks. My 6th & last egg hatched on day 24. The chick was off I noticed. Then I realised one side of the baby's skull was flat. There was no eye socket or eye & it is just covered by skin.

The other eye has developed to a point, but still did not develop properly. I've done some eyesight tests in the past 24 hours & the sight in that eye is so poor baby may as well not have that eye either.

The chick responded positively to communication via touch & sound so I have used that to show him feed & water. It isn't lonely or being bullied by its siblings.
    Its vocal now & again, but petting & talking to it makes it quiet again.

The egg was small & the chick is from a bunch of mixed breeds. Compared to the other chicks it looks like a bantam chick.

Will it be better kept indoors in human company when it's older? I have older chickens I think would bully it and I don't have the space to divide the coop. Also we have a covered coop & we just open the door - our birds are free range part time, and that was the idea when we designed the coop.

I’m certain that with the right approach I can teach our chick alternative communication methods to compensate for being blind.

I have plenty of experience dealing with sick / disabled animals, just never a pet bird :)

Thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It would probably get bullied by other birds, especially if it can't see very well with the eye that it has. Chickens often are mean to weaker birds. It might be a good idea to keep him in human company when he's older, unless he seems to be doing fine with the other birds.

To help with his weak eyesight, keep feeders and wateres in the same place. Don't make any sudden movements, as this can frighten a slightly blind bird (they can't see you until your are close) A blind chicken can often adapt and fine food and water quite well. Just don't change too much at once.

3. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I don't know if they would.. . But I have a nasty pullet at the moment who bullies everything. She's a proper class A bit**!
    My cockerel isn't so bad.

The pullet was spoilt, she used to come in everyday. Because the chicks are here she can't. She crept in today, found the chicks & threw such a hissy fit we heard her outside.
    Found her with her ruff up growling at the chicks in the brooder & trying to strike them.
    Then she attacked me for trying to pick her up. She really hurts to, but nothing stops her. She will die before she let's go of her pride. Already tried, now the best method is to give her a slap when she attacks. Its worth the look of shock, and she just stared and walked off being timid. Round 46 < Me!
    I hope she grows out of it, she's about 13 - 14 weeks.

Never laid a hard hand on her like that before , but she just made the blood boil with the suck a** attitude, she always gets what she wants! Its like a spoilt baby or a nasty obnoxious teen.
    And yep, I've tried being firm, dominatine etc - didn't work. The slap however knocked her back into reality were I'm 5ft + & she's 30cm high!
    :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I would cull her, never good to have an animal go on the attack nomatter what they are.

5. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    If it weren't for the fact she's my only known pullet I would have. I've gripped her 5 times today, the only reason she is still with us is im hoping its just hormones messing her up. She was fine until her crest started to turn pink :(

6. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

Chicks on brooder

7. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Culled it today.

Its quality of life was dropping & it couldn't eat by itself. I made it quick & clean & just swung it against the corner of the wall. Instant death.
    My first cull, but I know I did the right thing. It looked sad, lonely and confused because it couldn't copy the others doing things & despite my trying it was skin and bone. Its crop was empty. Poor thing.
    I feel much better knowing I acted within its interests.

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    So sorry for your loss.

9. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Someone told me to put it in the freezer!

No way was that happening! :(

How can people suggest something like that.

Anyway it was warm & snug until I killed it, the whole process from removal to being taken out side & culled took 5 seconds.
    much nicer

10. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    We had to do that with one from our last hatch, It was hatched with splayed leg, we had two from that hatch that were like that and we taped both of them the way we read to, anyways after about 6 days one was fine, the other not so much, it has developed a sore on its knee, we treated it and seperated it but within just a few days its foot had turned black, hubby took it out and did what needed to be done, didnt want it to suffer more than it already was..
    Its hard but sometimes its what needs to be done.

And I totally understand about hoping it is just a phase with your attack hen...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by