Blind chick

yeahd00d

Chirping
Oct 15, 2016
Patchogue, NY
I was recently working somewhere that sells chicks, so they get shipments of hatchery birds in. I noticed one chick standing alone and looking confused so I brought her into the back of the store. I ended up bringing her home so I could care for her thinking she may just be dehydrated or injured somehow.

When I got her home I noticed she wasn’t opening her eyes. I inspected her eyes and both are cloudy and appears she is blind.

I have had her home with me for about 2 weeks now (she has friends, because chicken math). She’s doing fine in the brooder, I think she memorized where everything is like the food and water and the warm side of the brooder.

I did try and treat her eyes for the past two weeks with Vetericyn ophthalmic gel hoping she had a bacterial infection or something, but it didn’t improve anything. Also have been dosing her with nutri-drench hoping she may have a vitamin difficency but no improvements.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has raised a blind chicken that did ok as an adult? Obviously she won’t be able to free range unless supervised so she doesn’t get lost, but I really couldn’t find anything about a blind chick. If anyone has suggestions on treatments I’m willing to try anything to help her.

I've dealt with older birds going blind, but never a blind chick. I would plan to keep her confined, maybe next to the flock, but not with the flock so it doesn't get pecked. Generally after about 8 weeks I would watch how it goes.

I've dealt with older birds going blind, but never a blind chick. I would plan to keep her confined, maybe next to the flock, but not with the flock so it doesn't get pecked. Generally after about 8 weeks I would watch how it goes.

I haven't dealt with a blind chicken, but have worked with blind dogs and cats. The most important thing will be repetition of the same routine every day and a completely secure and unchanging environment. Something a blind dog taught me, when out in the yard I am constantly whistling or singing to myself; it allowed him to detect my approach as friendly, but also let him know when, and where I was in the yard when not working with him which allowed him to be less stressed or feeling alone or isolated all the time.

You mean once I move the chicks outside keep her separated so she doesn’t get bullied by the older hens? Seems like she has two protectors right now that come right to her if she starts chirping loudly. Hopefully they’ll always be her buddy.

You mean once I move the chicks outside keep her separated so she doesn’t get bullied by the older hens? Seems like she has two protectors right now that come right to her if she starts chirping loudly. Hopefully they’ll always be her buddy.

Your other chicks may continue to me nice or they may, as they sexually mature, start pecking her, and it could go bad quickly because she can't escape or read other birds body language. Chickens convey many messages by posturing, and body language, and a blind bird cannot see them or react to them.

Generally anything after 2-3 months I would keep an eye on. Generally by 4-6 months birds are hormonal and more prone to aggression towards each other as they go through sexual maturity and start to want to establish their position within the flock. A blind bird can not get out of the way or escape dominating.

You may be able to pair this chick up with another gentle bird that could be her life companion, but I would not keep a blind chicken in a flock with multiple birds.

Back
Top Bottom