Blind chicken, bulging eyes? PICS

Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Whisperer
12 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Hi. My chicken is a 8 month old Jersey Giant and her pupils are foggy and mostly white and her eyes seem to bulge out of her head. She runs into things and doesn't react if I wave my hand infront of her eyes but it does seem like she can see a bit, she can walk out of the coop? Not sure if she can sense the light or what....She is smaller and much much lighter than the other chickens and I'm wondering why she is like this. Thanks

Last edited:
It sounds like she could have cataracts that have caused her blindness. Exposure to avian encephalomyelitis (AE) virus as a chick can cause cataracts, and blindness can also result from infections, high ammonia levels in the coop, vitamin A deficiency, as well as ocular Mareks disease. Mareks usually causes the eye color to turn gray or have an odd shaped pupil. Can you take pictures of her eyes? She may be able to function in a small coop or pen without eyesight, as long as she can find her food and water. Sorry about your pullet.

I don't know what the problem is. Sometimes chicks are born with bulging eyes, and those don't usually live or see. I don't know what would cause the bulging at her age, but she definitely looks blind. Do you have any state veterinary schools that might look at her pictures if you email them?

I'm not sure... but I'm also positive she could see as a chick, she acted completely normal then it kinda seemed like one day I noticed her eyes were foggy then once she got outside and got lost and it was raining - there was a huge storm and I found her the next day sitting on a wheelbarrow and her eyes seemed to bulge... (or that's when I really noticed it) I mean she is finding her food and water and loves the snow so that's good, right?

I'm not sure... but I'm also positive she could see as a chick, she acted completely normal then it kinda seemed like one day I noticed her eyes were foggy then once she got outside and got lost and it was raining - there was a huge storm and I found her the next day sitting on a wheelbarrow and her eyes seemed to bulge... (or that's when I really noticed it) I mean she is finding her food and water and loves the snow so that's good, right?
What became of this chick?

Back
Top Bottom