Blind Chicken Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pinky, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    One of my first chickens, Miss Prissy, acts like she's blind. The other day I found her hanging up side down [​IMG] . For two days now I've had to put a bowl of food up to her beak to eat. Here are some questions I have:

1. Will she ever be able to find her food on her own(if I put it in the same spot every day)?
    2. Is she blind because of old age?(6 yrs old)
    3. How do I care for a blind chicken? She won't take dust baths like she use to love doing.

It's stressful because I never had a blind bird before. I didn't even know they could go blind. [​IMG]

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I have a blind Silkie, and she seems worse this year than last. She finds her food fairly well, even though I've recently moved the feeders, but she doesn't go outside much like she used to. I wish she would go broody, because the chicks make her happy, and they lead her around somewhat.

I'd give her as much light as possible, in case she can still see shadows. Unless the rest of the chickens pick on her, I'd leave her in with the flock. The sounds they make can alert her to treats, lure her to the dust baths, and comfort her. She may not like being held anymore, if she used to enjoy it, because it may disorient her. Good luck with your old girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by